Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost stalling computer CPU at 100%

• Please log in to reply

dogg777

dogg777

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks in advance for your time. I have been through the Malware forum and now I was asked to transfer here for additional help. Here is my former thread:

http://www.geekstogo...s...=124765&hl=

My XP system is very slow and one of the svchost's is hogging all or at least most of my CPU usage. If I want to get onto the internet or to do anything, I end that svchost and the system is back up to speed. Sometimes the internet is locked out and I have to reboot. Also, my wife was trying to use the internet on her profile but it would not work until she switched to mine.

I have no idea where to start to look for the root of this issue. What would you suggest? Thanks again!

-dogg777 :whistling:

Edited by dogg777, 24 August 2006 - 11:31 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dogg777...

Download WinAudit, install it, run it on the machine, and save a report in PDF format. Attach the report to an e-mail to me (I'll PM you with the address).

Download, install, and run Process Explorer. See if it will shed any light on which process might be using up the cpu time.

Give me a bit to review the WinAudit report to see if anything jumps out at me.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 August 2006 - 02:19 PM.

dogg777

dogg777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
The process explorer shows that aol top speed taking alot of memory for a while then it stops. Do I even need this? Does it help AOL to run faster? Also the other users on my computer can not use the internet they have to switch over to my profile. Any idea on why that may be occuring? Thanks....

- dogg777

dogg777

dogg777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am experiancing very slow response. Help please......

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I apologize for the delay, dogg777. My internet service was adversely affected by the forest fires near here. I was off-line or had very limited service for almost a week and a half.

Please send me a fresh WinAudit report so I can see if any new errors have shown up and to look into your AOL application. I don't think it's necesary, but let me have another look to be sure. I'll also check into the internet sharing issue...it may be just a setting.

dogg777

dogg777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I sent the winaudit file. Let me know if you didn't get it. Thanks....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's address the errors I see in the event logs one at a time and see if we can pinpoint the culprit.

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, remove the check from msnmsgr, and "Apply" the change and reboot.

Upon restarting, you will see a Selective Startup dialog window...this is normal. Tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Any change in the cpu usage?

dogg777

dogg777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
wannabe1,

Sorry it's been so long, life has been crazy and I've been just dealing with the computer issues.....

No there was no change with the speed.

I was looking at process explorer and the one of the svchost.exe uses nearly all the cpu and stops me from doing anything. It's not until I <cntl><alt><del> end that process that I can do anything. Today I waited for 40 minutes and they ended it so I could sent you this note. Here is a list of some of the things that were coming up red or green in process explorer during that 40 minutes.....

\Device\VrShadowC\WINDOWS\Installer\be41d51.msp
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\be41cd3.msp
\BaseNamedObjects\DfSharedHeap8005F
\BaseNamedObjects\DfSharedHeap82F00
\BaseNamedObjects\DfRoot0000846BA
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\be41d12.msp
\BaseNamedObjects\DfRoot0000A275C

I also noticed alot of network stuff in the msconfig file. I am not using a network. Should those be checked?

Thanks for your help again!!!

-dogg777

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
These are pretty suspicious. Download and run HiJackThis on the machine. Save a log and attach it here your me. Note: It may be necesary to zip this file to attach it. It would be nice to know where these are running from.

dogg777

dogg777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Attached File  hijackthis_10_20_06.txt   7.72KB   209 downloadsHere is my hjt file....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You have a pretty good malware infection going on in there...bet that's the whole problem. We need to get that cleaned up.

Please visit the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

Let them know that I've been helping you here and sent you to them.

wannabe1