Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card, TVI

• Please log in to reply

Spartan1475

Spartan1475

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, I'm buying a new video card, at the moment I have an integrated crappy intel video card that can't even play newer games even though my computers only a few months old. I've been looking into buying a new video card, one that can also input cable so I can use my computer as a tv as well. I have pci express slots on my computer and I need to know what to look for in buying a new card. I want to be able to use it for televison as well as playing newer games. If anybody could either point me towards a good choice for a video card, or tell me what the video card should have to make it good I would be very grateful. I realise price range is something I need to look into as well, but as long as its under 300 or so I'll get it as long as it's worth the money.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
The best thing to do when looking for a video card is to go out and read some reviews. www.anandtech.com and www.hardocp.com and two that I like, but there are a plethera of other review sites out there. A lot depends on whether or not you plan on moving to Vista and DX10 when it comes out next year. If so, then you would be best off buying a low to midrange solution as a stopgap until that happens. If not, then buy the best card your budget will allow.

One thing it is important to look at is the power requirements for the card. Many cards, especially the better ones, have a minimum PSU requirement. Make sure that your power supply meets the minimum requirements at least.

You might want to take a look at something like this:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102022

Edited by kidnova, 24 August 2006 - 12:16 PM.