Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win32 dnserror

• Please log in to reply

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks in advance for the help. This computer was purchased at auction but the windows xp system is genuine. Thanks again.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:38:50 AM, on 8/24/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\vstskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\COMMON~1\naPrdMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WgaTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\tbmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe
C:\dfndrff_11a.exe
C:\kybrdff_11a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\xerox\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.mrfindalo.../search.asp?si=
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = http://www.mrfindalo.../search.asp?si=
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSL encrypt - {746455FE-D059-47e7-AF0E-140E03F5A447} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nsv64.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Network Associates Error Reporting Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\tbmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmd] "C:\Program Files\Support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe" /server /startmonitor /deaf
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSRunScript] "C:\Program Files\Support.com\Charter\bin\SSRunScript.exe" /script "C:\Program Files\Support.com\Charter\vbs\verifyconnection.vbs" /args //b startupdelay
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [webHancer Survey Companion] "C:\Program Files\webHancer\Programs\whSurvey.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ad8rIU3s] C:\WINDOWS\System32\cvn0.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [defender] C:\\dfndrff_11a.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [keyboard] C:\\kybrdff_11a.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "E:\TrojanHunter 4.2\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'c:\windows\webhdll.dll' missing
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by105fd.bay10...es/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1145424176514
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1145424385373
O16 - DPF: {D4323BF2-006A-4440-A2F5-27E3E7AB25F8} (Virtools WebPlayer Class) - http://a532.g.akamai...5/installer.exe
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\vstskmgr.exe
O23 - Service: Network Monitor - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Network Monitor\netmon.exe (file missing)

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
We can definitely help you, but first you need to help us. The first step in this process is to apply Service Pack 1a for Windows XP. Without this update, you're wide open to re-infection, and we're both just wasting our time.
Click here: http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en
Apply the update, reboot, and post a fresh Hijack This log.

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Sari. Thank you for the reply.

How is the best way to apply the update since the computer is not connecting to the internet? When I open EI I get the "page cannot be displayed" message. The connection is good because I hooked it up to a laptop to test it out. I think that whatever is causing the problem (malware?) is not allowing the computer to open up explorer.

Also, C drive has very little space. When I have tried to install updates in the past it has been unable to because of low disk space. I have tried moving programs to the back-up hard drive but not all programs will move over to it.

I really appreciate the assistance.
Thanks.

Edited by lesleyerin, 27 August 2006 - 09:49 PM.

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
As I mentioned previously, the computer I am trying to fix will not connect to the internet.

I tried to download the update to a disk and then up load it to the other computer. I ran into two problems.

First: It says there is not enough space to install it. I took off all optional programs like adobe and spybot. I finally got enough space.

Second: It says it is trying to download the service pack from the internet and because the computer cannot connect to the internet it will not install.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help. This is very frustrating.

Also I just saw on the microsoft website that I cannot download this update without an internet connection.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by lesleyerin, 29 August 2006 - 01:00 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
lesleyerin,

Since you have another computer you can download on, please do this:

A malicious .DLL file is disrupting the LSP chain on your computer. We need to get rid of it.
  • Please download LSPFix from here.
  • Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading (run this on the non-working computer).
  • Check the I know what I'm doing box.
  • In the Keep box you should see one or more instances of webhdll.dll.
  • Select every instance of webhdll.dll and move each one to the Remove box by clicking the >> button.
  • When you are done click Finish>>.
Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs. If you find webhancer, uninstall it.

Then come back here and let me know if you have internet access back, and we can go on to the rest of the fix.

sari

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
hi sari, thank you for the reply.

I did as you suggested and removed 4 of the .dll files that showed up but the computer is still not connecting to the internet. When opening the page it still gives the page cannot be displayed message. at the bottom where the page is opening it says: WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.

thanks again. all suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by lesleyerin, 31 August 2006 - 11:31 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
lesleyerin,

Could I have a new hijackthis log, please?

Thanks,

sari

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
hi sari,

the computer that I am trying to fix and the computer i use to get on the internet are in two different locations. I will post a new hijackthis log tomorrow. thank you again for the help.

lesley

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Here you go. Thanks!

Scan saved at 6:47:13 PM, on 9/11/2006

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe
D:\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.mrfindalo.../search.asp?si=
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = http://www.mrfindalo.../search.asp?si=
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSL encrypt - {746455FE-D059-47e7-AF0E-140E03F5A447} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nsv64.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Network Associates Error Reporting Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\tbmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmd] "C:\Program Files\Support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe" /server /startmonitor /deaf
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSRunScript] "C:\Program Files\Support.com\Charter\bin\SSRunScript.exe" /script "C:\Program Files\Support.com\Charter\vbs\verifyconnection.vbs" /args //b startupdelay
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [webHancer Survey Companion] C:\Program Files\webHancer\Programs\whSurvey.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by105fd.bay10...es/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1145424176514
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1145424385373
O16 - DPF: {D4323BF2-006A-4440-A2F5-27E3E7AB25F8} (Virtools WebPlayer Class) - http://a532.g.akamai...5/installer.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\vstskmgr.exe
O23 - Service: Network Monitor - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Network Monitor\netmon.exe (file missing)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
lesleyerin,

Let's try to repair your internet connection:

Please download and save this file to a disk, and then run it on the infected computer:

Winsockfix

Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools, then Internet Options, and select delete files. Make sure you check the box next to Delete All Offline Content.

If you have your internet connection back after this, I want you to run the following fix:

1. Download Ewido anti-spyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.
This is a 30 day trial of the program
  • Once you have downloaded Ewido anti-spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
  • Once the setup is complete, run Ewido and update the definition files.
  • On the main screen select the icon "Update" then select the "Update now" link.
    • Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
  • Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
  • Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".
  • Under "Reports"
    • Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
    • Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
Close Ewido anti-spyware, Do Not run a scan just yet

2. Please download Brute Force Uninstaller to your desktop.
  • Right click the BFU folder on your desktop, and choose Extract All
  • Click "Next"
  • In the box to choose where to extract the files to,
  • Click "Browse"
  • Click on the + sign next to "My Computer"
  • Click on "Local Disk (C:) or whatever your primary drive is
  • Click "Make New Folder"
  • Type in BFU
  • Click "Next", and Uncheck the "Show Extracted Files" box and then click "Finish".
3. RIGHT-CLICK HERE and choose "Save As" (in IE it's "Save Target As") in order to download Alcra PLUS Remover.
Save it in the same folder you made earlier (c:\BFU).

Do not do anything with these yet!

4. Reboot your computer into SafeMode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter.

5. IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while ewido is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:
  • Lauch ewido-anti-spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
  • Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan".
  • ewido will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
    Once the scan is complete do the following:
  • If you have any infections you will prompted, then select "Apply all actions"
  • Next select the "Reports" icon at the top.
  • Select the "Save report as" button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your desktop (This is important)
  • Close Ewido and reboot your system back into Normal Mode.
6. Then, please go to Start > My Computer and navigate to the C:\BFU folder.
  • Start the Brute Force Uninstaller by doubleclicking BFU.exe
  • Behind the scriptline to execute field click the folder icon Posted Image and select alcanshorty.bfu
  • Press Execute and let it do it’s job. (You ought to see a progress bar if you did this correctly.)
  • Wait for the complete script execution box to pop up and press OK.
  • Press exit to terminate the BFU program.
Reboot into normal windows and post the contents of Ewido text report that you saved and a new HiJackThis log.

If you don't have your internet connection, come back for further instructions.

sari

Advertisements

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I tried the first steps but I am still unable to get an internet connection. Because I can't always work on the computer I am posting another hijackthis log in case you need it. Thanks!!!!!

Scan saved at 9:19:28 PM, on 9/17/2006

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [webHancer Survey Companion] C:\Program Files\webHancer\Programs\whSurvey.exe
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL (file missing)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
lesleyerin,

I'm sorry for your difficulties - I know it's frustrating when you don't have a second computer nearby.

Since your error seems to be related to a dns issue, it's possible your dns settings were changed by some malware.
  • Go to Start > Run, and type cmd in the box
  • At the command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns
  • Type ipconfig /registerdns (this may take a few minutes)
Reboot, and then see if you have a connection.

If you don't, please go to Start>Run>cmd and type ipconfig /displaydns. Right click and click on Select All, and then copy/paste the information to Notepad and paste it into your next reply.

If you do have a connection now, please do the following:

1. Download Ewido anti-spyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.
This is a 30 day trial of the program
  • Once you have downloaded Ewido anti-spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
  • Once the setup is complete, run Ewido and update the definition files.
  • On the main screen select the icon "Update" then select the "Update now" link.
    • Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
  • Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
  • Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".
  • Under "Reports"
    • Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
    • Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
Close Ewido anti-spyware, Do Not run a scan just yet

2. Please download Brute Force Uninstaller to your desktop.
  • Right click the BFU folder on your desktop, and choose Extract All
  • Click "Next"
  • In the box to choose where to extract the files to,
  • Click "Browse"
  • Click on the + sign next to "My Computer"
  • Click on "Local Disk (C:) or whatever your primary drive is
  • Click "Make New Folder"
  • Type in BFU
  • Click "Next", and Uncheck the "Show Extracted Files" box and then click "Finish".
3. RIGHT-CLICK HERE and choose "Save As" (in IE it's "Save Target As") in order to download Alcra PLUS Remover.
Save it in the same folder you made earlier (c:\BFU).

Do not do anything with these yet!

4. Reboot your computer into SafeMode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter.

5. IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while ewido is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:
  • Lauch ewido-anti-spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
  • Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan".
  • ewido will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
    Once the scan is complete do the following:
  • If you have any infections you will prompted, then select "Apply all actions"
  • Next select the "Reports" icon at the top.
  • Select the "Save report as" button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your desktop (This is important)
  • Close Ewido and reboot your system back into Normal Mode.
6. Then, please go to Start > My Computer and navigate to the C:\BFU folder.
  • Start the Brute Force Uninstaller by doubleclicking BFU.exe
  • Behind the scriptline to execute field click the folder icon Posted Image and select alcanshorty.bfu
  • Press Execute and let it do it’s job. (You ought to see a progress bar if you did this correctly.)
  • Wait for the complete script execution box to pop up and press OK.
  • Press exit to terminate the BFU program.
Reboot into normal windows and post the contents of Ewido text report that you saved and a new HiJackThis log.

sari

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
still no connection and as requested:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig/displaydns

Windows IP Configuration

1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa
----------------------------------------
Record Name . . . . . : 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.
Record Type . . . . . : 12
Time To Live . . . . : 604641
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
PTR Record . . . . . : localhost

localhost
----------------------------------------
Record Name . . . . . : localhost
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 604641
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 127.0.0.1

C:\>

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
lesleyerin,

I think your internet connection settings got deleted or messed up somehow; you don't appear to have anything in your configuration that's pointing you to the internet for DNS resolution, which is what converts a website name, such as google.com, to its location on the internet. You may need to contact your ISP to get this portion of the problem resolved - you still have malware on your pc, but it would be much easier to clean it if you had a working internet connection. I have a couple of things that you to check, but your best bet may be to contact them, as the settings will vary by ISP and location.

sari

lesleyerin

lesleyerin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Sari,

Thank you for the reply. The internet connection works fine when it is connected to another computer, such as a laptop. Since this is the case would I still need to contact my ISP provider about this issue?

Thanks!