Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring Files/Programs To Another Computer

• Please log in to reply

WhoDoYouThink

WhoDoYouThink

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I am trying to transfer files from a Compaq Presario to a Dell Desktop. Both use Windows XP. I went to Radio Shack and they gave me a 'crossover cable'. The only place for me to plug this cable into is the ETHERNET port in the back.

Now what? Only one computer (the Presario with all the files I want) has a monitor. I basically just need to transfer files from the Presario to my hard drive on the Dell (the one without a monitor).

How do I do this? Was I given the wrong cable? Please note I cannot be online while completing this process since I am using the ETHERNET port and hooking up the computer I will be "dumping" files/programs onto to a monitor is NOT an option.

HELP!

[email protected]

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need the monitor on the second computer.

Just set both computers to the same workgroup, look for the other computer in My Network Places and copy the files that way.

By the way, you can't copy programs that way; you'd need to reinstall them from the original disks.

Edited by Neil Jones, 24 August 2006 - 01:04 PM.

WhoDoYouThink

WhoDoYouThink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
How do I "set both computers up to the same workgroup"? I go to network places and the only connections I see is LAN and 1394. I wont be able to be connected to the internet while I transfer files.

Can you walk me through this?

Edited by WhoDoYouThink, 24 August 2006 - 01:13 PM.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
since you only have 1 network adapter in both computers.... unfortunately yes you would have to disconect the pc from the internet

also if you want to share or transfer files both pc's have to be in the same workgroup. to see what workgroup the computers are in
1. go to my computer and right click it
2. click on properties
3. look for the computer name tab on top of the window
4. you will see the workgorup they are both in (if they are not in the same workgroup you must change iton either to make them both same)
5. to change the work group of the the computer click on change at the bottom of the same window
6. on the workgrou label type the desired workgroup

once again remember that they must both have the same workgroup, otherwise they wont see each other

WhoDoYouThink

WhoDoYouThink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I only have one monitor. Will I still be able to do this??

All I do is turn the computer I want to transfer files onto and let it reboot?

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
either you get a KVM switch or you are going to have to remove the monitor from one computer to the other constantly until you are trhough with this