Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Recordings?

• Please log in to reply

Ricko70

Ricko70

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not very computer oriented so please try to bear with me.
If you can hear a noise (talking, music, bells, whatever) on your computer coming from a web site, will or rather can you record that noise to your hard drive???? Is there some other type of hardware that is required?
I would like to know if this is legal as long as your not using it for profit, but rather for my own use?
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.......Thanks Rick

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It would depend, its easier to just contact the website and ask for the sounds or get them from a sound dedicated site that give sings under a fair use liscence.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Rule of thumb, if there is no download button on the site, but only a link that plays it if you click it, then that site is not complient to your taking stuff from it onto your computer if you find a way to. This argument I believe will grow with number a cases of sites being compromised for their content where copyrite is concerned.

Edited by fleamailman, 25 August 2006 - 10:04 AM.

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Thats the same with the topic I was looking at before on YouTube downloading. As fleamailman said if there isn't a download link then the person who owns the site doesn't want you to take it. If you really want it, e-mail/contact the person who owns the site and ask them if you could download it or get them to e-mail it to you.

~Matt :-)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not the person who owns the site but the person who owns the content who you should contact.

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Its not the person who owns the site but the person who owns the content who you should contact.

However there may not be contact details for the person who owns the content on the site. Or it may be unclear who owns the content.

~Matt :-)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should always ne clear who owns content sites have to acredit the owner or they break the law themselves if they do not know who owns the content they will also not be able to give it to you unless its under a open liscence.