Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless zero configuration

• Please log in to reply

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
hi,

really hope someone can help...sure its obvious to someone better at this than me!!

i have an issue with my wireless zero configuration (within admin tools, services)....this...i set start up type to 'automatic' but the computer does not do this automatically on start up...ie i need to go and manully start this to get a wireless connection.

basically the problem is that when i switch off and then back on ...for some reason the wireless zero donfig bit does not start automitically - even tho it has been set to.

STRANGE, but when I just tried it just now...i went in to 'service' immediatly on loggin in...and i actually caught the device 'on'...so it is automatically strating...it is just being stopped pretty soon after...but i have no idea of finding what it is or how......(after less than 10 secs later, my internet access was halted)

can you please help me to get this back to the way it used to be - working automatically.

Best regards

Dave

ps i have posted this in networking, but think its really an xp question, sorry to admin.

Edited by DaveGuyan, 24 August 2006 - 04:42 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go start..run..type in ... msconfig click ok...services tab see if its checked your wireless zero if not check it

or just enable all click ok reboot

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Dave!!!!!!!

How ya doin', Big Guy? Your machine still running ok outside of this?

Did your Wireless Zero come with an application that needs to run to access your account?

wannabe1

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok, i have tried the msconfig in 'run'....this was already checked...i did it again and rebooted...to no avail.

it seems to be that it is set to automatically 'start' on start up.....but the problem is that something (and i dont know where to look or what it might be...but something is 'stopping' this once it is automatically started.

as i said...i can manage to get on to net straight away, then whatever it is kicks in and halt my progress...could it be dial up internet over riding it? or some other software...or a bug?

Wannabee,

i am good thanks....great to see ur still handing out the good advice.....

i have now got a new laptop, dell inspiron....we had struggled by on 9gb for long enough....now i have 60gb...so plenty room for all my music!!

regards what the wireless zero came with....not sure, but dont think so....it was built in in the compuer, but it has worked fine for ages....then i have been without broadband for 8 weeks...now the wireless dont want to work. i dont have any other software.

rushin / wannabe 1very appreciative of any advice / help on this

best regards

Dave

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to your Wireless zero configuration properties and on the general tab make sure that the drop menu has automatic then click apply then ok

Edited by rushin1nd, 25 August 2006 - 11:52 AM.

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
hi rushin,

yes this is done...it was already set to automatic....this is the bit ia m struggling with...its defo set to be automatic, but i need to go in and actually kick start it myself...following (i think) something else stopping the wireless zero.....

Dave

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try this

Here, you would need to take out the battery of your laptop and hold the power button down for about a minute. Doing this will allow you to get rid of all the static charges, that are probably interfering with your wireless adapter

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
are the drivers up to date did you see if there was a yellow mark beside it in the device managerif so update it

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok...I tried the battery trick, and it didnt work for me this time.

I am unsure re how to check for the device manager and the yellow mark - can you advise me please.

I have attached a copy of screen prints of this problem, step by step (I have annotated it also).....if you require any detaisl of what some of the messages say (sometimes difficult to read) pls ask me.

thanks for the advice / suggestions so far

Dave

ps i did try to attach my doc but i cant see it..let me know if its not there pls. i think size restrictions has meant it cant be added....if i am allowed can i mail it to you or anyone interested?

Edited by DaveGuyan, 25 August 2006 - 01:37 PM.

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok...think i found the device manager...within computer manager...no yellow mark there...

it says things like 'device working properly'...and there is refrence to 'update driver, rollback driver on a tab named driver....any of that any use?

well...you can hopefully let me know.

Dave

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
GO START...CONTROL PANEL...RIGHT CLICK ON SYSTEM....CLICK HARDWARE TAB...CLICK DEVICE MANAGER...i dont have wireless but click on modem

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok...dome that...it was the sam list i was at before....the wireless is listed under 'network adaptors' (not modem) is that an issue?

ok...under network adaptor there is no yellow mark...2 entires

1 broadcom 440 x 10/100 integrated controller

2 dell wireless 1370 wlan min-pci card

cheers

dave

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go back to your control panel system hardware device manager network adapters

on the wireless you could try uninstalling the driver then reinstalling it then update the driver

right click on wireless then you see your options it may even say if it was disabledor if it says enable click on enable

DaveGuyan

DaveGuyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
:whistling: :blink: :help: :) :woot:

T H A N K Y O U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as I can tell...thats it...it was the uninstalling the device that worked.....it seemed to re-install its self...i then updated but it said that it was using most up to date software for driver...i have logged out and booted up a couple of times, and the device remains on.

a great result.

very please with ur help.

thanks

Dave

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Your Welcome Dave Enjoy