Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Randomly Crashes

• Please log in to reply

RRasco

RRasco

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, so now for about 6 months my computer has been crashing very randomly. when this all first started I had believed it to be my Nvidia Graphics card causing the problem so I got a new ATI Radeon X850XT Pro, and the problem still occurred. I tried reinstalling windows SEVERAL times and to no avail it keeps erroring out and restarting. So next I got a new hard drive...still no luck. So after that I went ahead and got me a new motherboard as well as a new processor. Still...no luck. So i ran memtest86 about 10 million times to check the ram, and it came back good. I have even swapped it out with known good chips of ram, and again, keeps rebooting. Everytime I did a hardware change, I would reinstall windows....only installing with the minimum hardware required to get the system going. STILL NO LUCK! So to sum it up, I have migrated to a completely new system and cannot seem to get rid of this error. Although the restarting began at about 10 minute intervals, and now 6 months later is is still rebooting (mainly on my gf who is just checking her email) but at longer intervals, days or even weeks, but it still is rebooting. The eventlog is showing:

error102.gif

I know this is a very general error as I have seen it before and with many causes. At work we recently discovered ati drivers causing this. however when i set my system to NOT restart on error, i get a blue screen with win32k.sys listed. here is the bluescreen:

win32k.sysbluescreee_001_resized.jpg

This error is starting to drive me absolutely crazy, please help me out and make sense of this blue screen PLEASE!!!!! before my system ends up MIA!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi RRasco...

Sorry for the delay in getting to you.

Let's check the system files right off the bat. Click Start, then Run, type cmd and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type sfc /scannow and press "Enter". You may be asked for your XP cd, so have it handy. This may be a long test depending on what it finds...be patient.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

RRasco

RRasco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i actually already did, that, it asked for the XP disk a few times and did or said nothing on completion.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Once the system file check has asked for the CD it takes whatever files it needs and closes

RRasco

RRasco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i am running it again right now, and it asked for the disk again....not as often as the first time though.

RRasco

RRasco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok, its done....and it didnt say anything again, so i will assume it has the files it needs?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should ask for the disc, then you leave it in until the blue progress bar goes, reboot when it does

RRasco

RRasco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
alright, done rebooting...