Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Having values appear in documents depending on the date

• Please log in to reply

caiphn

caiphn

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello;

I am very much a newbie when it comes to using Word for anything other than typing a simple document. What I am trying to do is insert a formula or something along those lines into my MS Word documents which would display something different based on the date. I need a number to increment one each day, and in some cases once or twice a week, depending on the day. (A different field) Is there anyway to do something like this? Office 2003 is what I'm using. Open to any suggestions, thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

boomercj

boomercj

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Are you talking about some type of a form letter?
Insert-> Date & Time and click the little box that says update automatically. Give that a try.

Edited by boomercj, 25 August 2006 - 09:05 AM.

caiphn

caiphn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Nope, that's not quite what I mean, thanks though!

What I need is to be able to insert some sort of formula, if possible, that would give me a number depending on the date.

For example, if it was August 1st, the number would be

If it was August 31st, the number would be

It it was September 10th, the number would be 41, September 15th, 46, and it would continue to increment indefinately.

Etc. If it was the week of August 1st-7th, I would need a different number on the document to be 1, if it was the week of August 8th-14th, I would need that number to be 2. Can this be done with Word?

boomercj

boomercj

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
You should be able to do that in excel, but I'm not sure of the function, perhaps LookUp. But then, you can link the spreadsheet into the Word document. Enter your data in the spreadsheet, go to the document and update the link. I've linked spreadsheets to documents before, admittedly a few years ago, but it worked wonderfully.

Still don't know if this is any help to you.

caiphn

caiphn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
So I believe what you're saying is that it is possible, and I would need to use a lookup feature? ... and at that point link the spreadsheet into the word document? So I need to create some sort of Excel database? Tell me if I'm offbase here, I have a problem with misinterpreting things :whistling: Thanks for all the help so far though.

boomercj

boomercj

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I know for sure that excel spreadsheets can be linked to word documents because I have done it myself. As far as the 'lookup' function for the excel, that was a "gee, I think that's what the name of it is" guess on my part. My son will be home this weekend. He helps me out with the excel functions. I'll ask him to take a look at your post. No promises as I intend to keep him quite busy around the house doing 'son' things.... mow the lawn, etc.

caiphn

caiphn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Great! Well, if he has a chance maybe he can figure it out. That'd be excellent as I have stumped the few computer friends I know, and would love to know how to do this.

boomercj

boomercj

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I couldn't get my son to sit down long enough to look at this, but I think I have it figured out.

Excel Spreadsheet - Place the starting date in a cell. Be sure to format the cell to display the date. Place "today's" date (ctrl + ; ) in the cell next to the start date. In the third cell enter the DAYS360 function. format this cell to the GENERAL display/
Then copy the third cell, open your Word Document and then Edit->paste special-> and click the radio button next to paste link. I've tried to upload the spreadsheet for you, but keep getting an error message that the .xls extension is not permitted. So I tried the next best thing. Hope this helps.

days.gif

Edited by boomercj, 28 August 2006 - 08:26 AM.

caiphn

caiphn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for all the help! I'll try it out once it slows down around here and tell you how it goes.

caiphn

caiphn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The outcome is 9/2/1900... =days360(xx,xx,false) not sure what I'm doing wrong, or how I would use this formula to achieve what I am trying to do.

boomercj

boomercj

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
hmmmmm........... let's see...........

1. The 'from date' and 'to date' columns should be formatted in some date form. ie mm/dd/yy.
Highlight the columns then: format->cells->number->date and then the type of your choice.
2. The 'number of days' column should be formatted for general number.
Highlight the columns then: format->cells->number->general
3. Enter dates in the From Date column and the To Date column (on the same row)
4. Select the cell in the Number of Days column, then: insert->function. You will see this window:
insert_function.gif
5. Highlight the function as shown and select OK. You will see this window:
function.gif
6. Place your cursor in Start Date and click on the start date cell
7. Place your cursor in End Date and click on the end date cell
8. Place your cursor in Method and type 'false'
9. Click 'OK"
excel.gif

I don't know why it's not working for you. It could be that I'm using 2000 and you're using 2003, but I don't think that they would change functions that drastically between the two versions.

When/If the function works, create your document in Word and navigate to the position where you want the number of days to appear. Then go to the spreadsheet, select the cell, then: edit->copy. Go back to the Word document to where you want this information placed, then: edit->paste special-> paste link. you can then edit the information in the excel spreadsheet at any time. When you open the Word document again and want updated information: edit-> links -> update now.

Hope this works now.

Edited by boomercj, 08 September 2006 - 07:45 AM.

boomercj

boomercj

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Just another way to say what I said above -----
directions.gif