Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100% CPU usage making MMORPG lag

• Please log in to reply

betruemyself

betruemyself

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've spent the whole day searching for answer to my problem, but none seem to work :3.

My CPU usage will go up to 100% and cause my MMORPG pc game to lag. It will stay like this for 10 - 15min and then go away. It happens on and off every half hour or so.

It's nothing to do with the game or my internet connection speed, but my computer usage. I've ended as many programs as I could, but it still won't fix it.

I've ran several virus scans, but i've come to find it's not that. It hasn't been like this a few weeks ago. I tried doing a system restore, but none of them will work.

Any help would be appreciated. :whistling:

Edited by betruemyself, 24 August 2006 - 06:23 PM.

Advertisements

gamefr3ak

gamefr3ak

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I bet you play Maple Story or something
Maybe it is because you have a lot of processes running on your computer that you can end with the task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+del
Or you can check the ping by typing cmd in the run box and typing " ping (website name or ip here [not all sites will work]) then you can stop some of your downloads or any other computer thats causing the lag.
Or check how stable the internet connection is.
note:im not too much of a geek myself

betruemyself

betruemyself

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I play FinalFantasyXI,

I have a lot of processes running, but I've ended all the ones I can.

My internet connection is fine, the speed s 100mbps.

:3 so I have no Idea. Someone was saying something about Windows XP Service pack 2 possibly having something to do with it? If so is there a wayfor me to uninstall it?

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
There is a way to uninstall it but I doubt its the problem. Have you downloaded any cheats or online trainers or anything like that? also try turning down some of the graphic settings.

Bob The Mail Man
:whistling:

gamefr3ak

gamefr3ak

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Check for viruses and spyware

betruemyself

betruemyself

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

There is a way to uninstall it but I doubt its the problem. Have you downloaded any cheats or online trainers or anything like that? also try turning down some of the graphic settings.

Bob The Mail Man
:whistling:

No, and the settings are not even on high. I have downloaded a program that will check my system to see if my computer can handle the game and it says I can handle it perfectly at the settings it's at.

I stated in my first post I've already done several different checks for virusus and spywear, so that is not the problem.

The problem is with my CPU usage that keeps jumping to 100% and causing my computer to lag. Another site said there might be a prolem with the XP Service pack 2 because it limit the number of connections I could have to 10. There was a problem with that I traced with my TCP/IP and I downloaded a program and fixed that, so I'm not sure what it is now.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Go Start Click Run..Typye in ... msconfig ..Click ok...On the start up tab see what programs startup uncheck the ones you dont need but keep your antiviris running...then click apply and reboot

Edited by rushin1nd, 25 August 2006 - 04:19 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
and you Go star click run ...type services.msc ..click ok look for other programs do the same click on it and on the left choose stop

Edited by rushin1nd, 25 August 2006 - 04:20 PM.