Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp Fatal system error

• Please log in to reply

lesB

lesB

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I think that I may have a virus? My daughter turned off my McAfee. after I turned off my computer when I restarted it Windows starts to boot up then I get the following message:
Stop: c000021a (Fatal system error)
The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
the system has been shut down.
I can get to safe mode but it does the same thing. Any suggestions?

Edited by lesB, 27 August 2006 - 09:47 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you boot to safe mode

Click start, right click my computer, click properties, computer name

Rename the PC and reboot

Or

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Can you boot to safe mode

Click start, right click my computer, click properties, computer name

Rename the PC and reboot

Or

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Keith:
I can not get into safe mode with prompt .As it starts I get another error message and it stops going into safe mode. The only thing I can do is get to the repair mode with the C:\windows prompt.
anything else I can do? Thanks for your help.

mrtroubled

mrtroubled

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have the same problem. Windows XP fatal error. I cannot get into safe mode to trestore as my machine crashes very time before it gets to open the safe mode screen, then it automatically reboots. It just keeps looping round. Please help

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

I have the same problem. Windows XP fatal error. I cannot get into safe mode to trestore as my machine crashes very time before it gets to open the safe mode screen, then it automatically reboots. It just keeps looping round. Please help

Hi mrtroubled.
Please help us help you, if you are having a problem start
your own topic. Even if it looks like the same problem here
more then likely it will lead down deferent paths to resolve.
That way you get one on one assistance to resolve your individual
problem and insures the one giving you assistants only has
to reply to your problem.
Thank You Dwight :whistling:

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have run hardware diagnostics everything was OK. I have booted from my cd and reinstalled windows.
I have run Chkdsk /r.
When I boot normally I get the message:

Stop: c000021a (fatal System Error)
The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc0000005 (0x00000000, 0x00000000)
System has been shut down

When I boot from the cd after it says windows is being restarted and then goes to the screen the shows windows is installing I get the same message.

It won't go into safe mode as it starts to go into safe mode a grey dialog box pops up that says " Windows can not start in safe mode re starting"
I can only get it to go into the repair mode with the prompt:
C:\windows> From there I was able to run chkdsk /r which it said fixed a few problems, but it still ends up at the blue screen with the stop message.
Should I reformat and start over? I do have a set of back up disks from when I did a back up a month before all the problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you repair it like this, or the recovery console?

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am at the screen asking whether I want to repair "R" or install a fresh copy

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If the screen looks like the picture below, follow the instructions highlighted on the picture:

Posted Image

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
did that then when it rebooted it went back the the BOS with the fatal error message

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
This may be a difficult one. I am currently researching the problem and will get back with you momentarily. :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
There doesn't seem to be much info on this particular problem. Let's see if I can make my own solution.

1. What was the last thing you remember doing before the problem occured?

2. Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration from the Safe Mode menu?

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have tried that. I have run CHKDSK CHKDSK /r I oncec got the message: STOP: 0x0000008E (oxc0000005, 0xBF803E1A, 0xF7E8BC94, 0x00000000) Win32k.sys-address BF803E1A base at BF800000, date stamp 41107f7A. I am now at the point where I can not even get bcak to the screen that gave me the prompt C:\windows>. Everytime I reboot it looks like it is going to work but then goes to the message from the 1st time. I have not changed anything or added anything that I am aware of .I did read a blerb about the error message having to do with something about when the system starts up. Something about writing too fast so the system doesn't understand it. It was above my head. I did do a back up a month ago so I don;t care if I have to start over. But the question would be is this software? thanks for your help so far

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
heres a website to look at

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article, or see Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit, p. 1561.)
This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP can’t run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.
GoBack Causes a Stop Error C000021a {KB 316503} Win XP
Internet Explorer Maintenance Policies May Cause an Access Violation in Winlogon {KB 318666} Win XP Pro
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will find yor error when you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is some reading

another possibility is after mcafee was removed its quite possible your computer is infected because you were vurnerable i thinking it maybe a trojan

when you encounter a blue screen wait a few hours or even 12 to 24 hours then start it back up if all goes well install your antivirus back if that dont work

try the malware program they have here at geeks to go its a excellent program

if it all fails try continuing on with your repairs with xp cd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

heres a thread you can read

http://forum.aumha.o...0b407d17c93f87d

Edited by rushin1nd, 30 August 2006 - 12:52 PM.

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Don't i need to be able to acess my system somehow to use the malware program? right now all I get is a blue screen.