Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp Fatal system error

• Please log in to reply

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have 5 disks when I load one then start to load the next one. I get a message that says that a nother version of the cd is installed and that I need to uninstall the first one if I want to install the next one. Is there an order? the disks are:
1. Applications: for reinstalling cyberlink power DVD
2. Drivers and utilities: Device drivers,Diagnostics and utilities, Computer Doccumentation
3. Drivers and utilities: Drivers, Diagnostics and utilities, Online documentation, Modem on hold
4. Lcd Monitor: HTML Documentation, Drivers (inf, icm), Cat files
5. Application for reinstalling tools system software : Antivirus, suppoet software Mulit media software, internet software.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
can you get to your add and remove programs and see whats there

or even your control panel

just asking

Edited by rushin1nd, 30 August 2006 - 08:59 PM.

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yes

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
in your control panel....... system ....hardware ......device manager do you see yellow marks

if you do click plus sign...right click...then update driver if you can

make sure your connected to internet ok

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
It will either be this one:

2. Drivers and utilities: Device drivers,Diagnostics and utilities, Computer Doccumentation

or this one:

3. Drivers and utilities: Drivers, Diagnostics and utilities, Online documentation, Modem on hold

The thing about these CDs is I don't know them by heart, so I can't guide you to your video card's drivers. However, if you look around, you should see some info about what your computer has, and which drivers are missing. The ones that your computer needs will usually be highlighted or have a symbol next to them. But if not, let me know. I may have a way we can find out what video card you have.

I find it is much easier to get the drivers from your CD, rather than the internet. Althought the ones on the internet may be updated, these will do fine for now.

Let me know how it goes.

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
WEll things age going slow. I can't seem to find the driver for my ethernet card either. so that shoots my internet capability. Gosh why does it all have to be so hard? I'll keep plugging away, thanks for your help :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
No problem.

The driver for your ethernet will be on one of those CDs too.

Let me know if you get stuck or need further help :whistling:

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm in device manager, the wizard is searching for the driver and can't find it. I'v tried both disks. amy i doing something wrond?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
no, the wizard is usually junk when it comes to autonomacy. You have to guide it, which would be a bit difficult for me to explain how to do that from across the internet.

Insert one disk and take a screenshot of the list of drivers. To take a screenshot by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me.

I'll get you up and running, even if it takes 1 step (and screenshot) at a time :blink:

And if you notice a period of me not here, that's because I'm about to take a test. But it shouldn't take too long. I'll be right back. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 31 August 2006 - 12:05 PM.

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok here are the two disks. Hope I did it right. Like you I have alife too so I must go do it. I will check back later to see what you suggest :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• dell2.JPG
  • printscreen.JPG

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
No wonder you were confused with my directions. The CDs did not start their User Interface program automatically.

In order to start it, in the first CD, double-click on AUTORCD

For the second CD, double-click on autorun (the one that is an application)

Now see if you can find your video card and network card listed. You should have a nice interface with menus and drivers listed.

If you still need help...take screenshots of what you see after double-clicking on those files. :whistling:

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:blink: You will be glad to know that I am writing you from my some what fixed computer. I got the ehternet driver off the net from dell. loaded it to a floppy and installed it from there. Now how come I can't get these files to install? I saved tham to my desktop. doubleclicked like the instructions say but nothing happens. So I
unzipped them and still nothing. these are my monitor drivers. This HUGE print is driving me crazy :whistling:
I did install my virus protection and went to windows up date so far.
(Edit)
DAHHHHHHHH well after I rebooted when windows update was done installing my monitor went back to normal sooooo I think we are somewhat done. Do you have any suggestions that I can do to check if I am missing anything?
I want to thankyou for all the time you have taken with me. You guys have been OUTSTANDING!

Attached Thumbnails

• uziped.JPG
  • zipfile.JPG

Edited by lesB, 31 August 2006 - 09:51 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
he should be able to find those files for you and then you can download them

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
heres a download for your files R108233. scroll down till you see that file click on it then open

http://ftp.dell.com/monitors/

look for R108233

if you cant open it heres file extracter go down the page click on download
http://www.extractnow.com/ on the home page click on that

Download ExtractNow!

lesB

lesB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey thanks for the info but I don't think I need it now. After I did the update eveything went back to normal. So what do you think?