Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

scvhost.exe Problem (now its a virus)

• Please log in to reply

leingod

leingod

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi! I have a problem relating to the system process called "scvhost.exe" (it can be found in task manager, process).
I tried to update my windows by going to the Microsoft Windows Update website to update it. When I decided to quit the update as it was taking to long for windows to check for any previous Windows Update, fine so far. Then my computer started lagging, I didn't know why.
Soon after a system process called scvhost.exe was taking up to 99% of the CPU. When I end process it the computer works fine, but it comes back up if I:
1. Attempt to Update my Windows
2. Attempt to change My Firewall Settings

Also when I end the process I can't seem to turn on and modify settings for Windows Firewall.
I've scanned my computer for viruses just now, its clean. Did a System Restore, useless.

This has affect my computer the following ways:
1. High CPU load
2. Sometimes can't shut down. (It can't get past "Saving your current settings")
3. Sometimes can't logon (That was normal, motherboard problem related.)
4. Unable to change or turn on Windows Firewall.

I know I said a lot, but anyone has any ideas what I should do? I wanna do everything I can to fix it, but there is no way I'm gonna re-format again, I did it just three days ago and 4 times the other week!
I use Windows XP Pro SP2 2002 Edition, in case you're wondering.

Thanks for anyone's help.

EDIT: I have moved this to the Malware Section which can be found here: http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=127849

EDIT2: OKAY, my problem has already been resovled (Some how it fixed itself...). So unless I encounter any problems, I'll report it.

Edited by leingod, 25 August 2006 - 08:20 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum