Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet access

• Please log in to reply

infinity67

infinity67

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok so this is not ruining my computer but it is a problem. How can I ban access to the internet WITHOUT banning the use of the computer? I am having problems with certain web site accesses by my son, but don't want to ban him from the computer completely. I can password protect the computer, but if someone(mom or dad) logs on and walks away without logging off, bingo, he can go online. Is there any way to stop him from getting online?

Thanks,
an exasperated mom!

Advertisements

Gotham

Gotham

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
Hi there and welcome to geeks to go! looking at your post i think i understand the content you are trying to block. if i understand you correctly you do not want to block your son from the internet complety but just sensor his veiwing of internet content? IE has a desent filter on it for objectional content. if it is the internet all together you whould like to block then please let me know, and also what form you are using to connect to the internet (dial up, DSL, etc)

Thanks!

infinity67

infinity67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I use cable to access the computer. There is so much content I don't want him to have, it hard to list it all. I don't care if he goes to game sites for his video games, but that's really all I want him to be able to get to. I've tried to block certain rated sites, but that hasn't done it, nor has using the block certain words. He always seems to find a way around it. EX: cartoon graphicially explicit sites

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Have you tried a program like Safe Eyes?

Some of the features include:
  • Content Control - Flexible "Internet Filtering" allows you to select the types of website that are appropriate.
  • Program Control - Control Instant Messengers, P2P File Sharing, and other harmful programs.
  • Time Control - Control the amount of time spent online, and the times when the internet is available.
  • Usage Logging - Create and review logs of websites visited, programs used on the Internet, and Instant Messaging Chats.
  • Usage Alerts - Be notified instantly via email, text messsage, or phone call when someone visits inapproprate websites.
You should be able to just turn off the internet for one user (your son) while everyone else can use it.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
One option you might consider, Hosts files to control your childs access to sites that you think are unapropiate for him to look at. http://www.google.co...G=Google Search
Add a web proxy like edexter and you can have an effective way to filter web content. There are various sites that maintain hosts files for various types of content.

Edited by silverbeard, 25 August 2006 - 11:04 AM.