Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB thumb drive

• Please log in to reply

McKnight

McKnight

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Recently I used a generic 128 MB thumb drive on my computer; I have not really used one before. I know enough to click on the icon on the bottom to safely remove the USB drive before taking it out. However, upon doing so it says, "Device cannot be stopped right now. Try again later." After a few attempts I became frustrated and took the drive out anyway.

My question is what ill effects may this pose? I know it can potentially corrupt the data on the drive, but could it do anything else; like to the computer? And for future references, what should I do if this happens again?

Thanks...

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
the fact that you can't stop it safely suggest that something might still be accessing the usb drive. It could also be that you need to install the proper drivers for the operating system. I have never uesed windows me, but i am fairly certain that there are certain drivers that are required for a usb key to function completely (you could also try a format on the usb key). Now as to taking it out safely.... if you wait for 5-10 seconds after your last actoin related to the usb key (ex. saving a word document) you can just pull it out. I have been doing that for a while now..... nothing bad seems to have happened.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
No ill effects then?

Thanks my friend...