Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internal Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

Nanotec89

Nanotec89

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently bought an internal SATA harddrive, I also had to get a PCI SATA controller card because my motherboard does not have any SATA ports.

This is a second hard drive, the primary drive is hooked up to the motherboard.

I installed the driver without a problem, i plugged in the power (i had a SATA power converter cable), and then i pluged the hard drive into the pci card with a SATA cable.

I went to computer management, found the drive, iniatialized it, then i started to format (ntfs), 2 hours later it got to 100%, then i got an error message that it couldn't format, and my computer completely froze, forcing me to reboot.

Now my computer doesn't recognize the drive anyway, my computer, device manager, or computer management. I have tried reinstalling the driver, nothing, i tried putting it on a different pci slot, nothing, nothing will get this to read my drive. I have no idea what to do.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Have you physically uninstalled the new hardware? Reinstall to a different Pci slot and see if the controller is recognized. My limited experience with SATA has taught me to use the Manufacturers software to install and format the new drive. Windows Computer Manager doesn't seem to handle this job very well in my experience.