Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Arctic Silver 5

• Please log in to reply

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I am cleaning out the dust from inside of my system, and i just thought it might be a good time to take off the gpu and cpu heatsinks and maybe put in some AS5. I read a lot of reviews with different results ranging from 2-5 degrees of moderate decrease in temp to 10 degrees in some cases. I was just wondering if it was worth the 10$ to put in some as5. Right now both the cpu and gpu has the thermal grease supplied with my zalman cnps9500 and vf900.

So any one have experience with arctic silver 5?
PS. I am just planning on using some regular isoproply 99% alcohol to clean the heat sinks and chips.... that should do right?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if youre going to reapply thermal compound you want to use the best you can get and AS5 is it and its not anymore than anyother compound or pad in fact less than some so i would just get it, its only $10.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
if your temps are fine i wouldnt bother with it what is your resoning for replacing the thermal compund???

as i said if yuor temos are fine then thre is no reson to because then you have to take all the time cleaning it when there is no need.

what are the temps on both the GPU and the CPU?

troppo

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I have it combined with a decent fan and heatsink (Thermaltake Blue Orb II) and it does help keep it cooler than with the stock heatsink and fan w/ thermal pad. Just try not to apply too much and it works very well.