Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems With Staying Connected

• Please log in to reply

RescueU

RescueU

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
This has been a problem for a while now... If I stop surfing the net on my desktop or laptop for more than about 30 mins.. When I come back and open my browser it says that it is unable to locate the site... The indicators in the system tray show that I am still connected but nothing happens when you open a web page. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting but that doesn't help... I have tried using the repair option - no good either. The only thing that helps is a restart. I have XP SP2 and I use Firefox.

Any Ideas????

Thanks

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I am not too sure of what the problem is, but I would make sure you have all the Firefox updates with the latest version.

RescueU

RescueU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
After about 30 mins of inactivity on the internet - if I try to do anything on the net (email, going to my home page or just surfing in general) I can't. It's like I'm not connected. But if you go down to the system tray and click the icons that show your connection status, it shows that I am connected. If I disconnect and reconnect still nothing - and the repair option doesn't help either. I have to do a system restart. It also doesn't matter which browser I'm using - IE, Firefox or Opera...I prefer Firefox though. If I try to get email (thunderbird), I get the "cannot connect to server".

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try this its for windows xp

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

RescueU

RescueU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

I will try this when I get home from work today