Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"

• Please log in to reply

ck_evac

ck_evac

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
All of a sudden I can't start up my computer. I keep getting the error message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
Technical Info:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8133DA60, 0xC0000010, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have booted the computer using the Windows XP setup cd and run chkdsk, but that didn't help. Now when I try to run the recovery console again it says that there are no hard disk drives attached to the computer. I am guessing that the hard drive is pooched, but I really need the data off of that drive. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanx

Advertisements

Plies

Plies

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I fixed this same problem last night :whistling:

Boot your windows setup CD.....push R.. When your at the prompt run chkdsk /p... when that is done... type: fixboot push: Y
then it will restart... problem should be fixed.

ck_evac

ck_evac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have tried that already. It didn't work. I also can't run the recovery console anymore as it tells me that there are no hard drives attached to the computer.

Thanx for the reply.