Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp - cd drive wiped?

• Please log in to reply

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
right i have been on holiday and family have been using the computer while i have been away.

i came back tonight and i tryed to open a file which is located in the c:/program files/xxxxxxx

but it said

Error

the file 'c:/program files\xxxxxxxxxxxxx.exe' could not be opened. please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory. the system cannot find the path specified.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
since they had fun with your computer can you do a system restore

start...all programs...accesseries...system tools...select click on system restore...pick the best restore point when you computer was working good

you should look in your add and remove programs and see if any thing was down load like mywebsearch uninstall it its just a precaution

do the following below and when your done reboot

clean your prefetch folder GO START...CLICK RUN...TYPE IN... prefetch ...CLICK OK..EDIT..SELECT ALL ..ON ANY BLUE FILE RIGHT CLICK THEN DELETE.............go to your tools menu at the top of your page select internet options delete cookies... delete files including offline put check mark click ok then close by clicking apply then ok.....go start..... all programs....accesseries...system tools....disk defragmenter.....just defragment

REBOOT

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
ive done a system restore and nothing happens

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which file are you trying to open?

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
my c:/program files

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start, my computer, double click local disc c, you haven't got a programme files folder?

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
but if you dont have a program files folder than most (or all) of your programs wouldnt function properly, you could try using unlocker though if you cant get acces to it.

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
no i can access it but all my installed programs like games etc arent there just things like frontpage, msn, outlook express

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you download and install anything, just to see where it goes

http://www.filehippo.com/

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
... resolved? ...

If not, I'd try a good registry cleaner, e.g. Registry First Aid, or RegMechanic and see if that made a differenct...

Then, download, if it still works, Bad Copy Pro and see if it can retrieve any of the missing files. If so, they will need to be saved to somewhere where there is no danger of overwriting anything valuable...floppie? burned CD? another slave drive/disk?

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
This might be kind of stupid but... its happened to me where i cant see the system32 folder even with show hidden files and folders checked. So try this:

Lets say youve got nero installed then go to

Start>run>C:\Program Files\nero and see if that opens neros folder, if it does then there there but there hidden.

P.S. Nero is an example it could be Microsoft or Symantec, etc

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I kick myself, everytime I find that a tick in a wee box, hidden off in some obscure location has jumped out, or has failed to catch, or has not been inserted by me, and I spend hours hunting for a reason for a problem that can be resolved with a simple insertion of the tick mark...now, to find that hidden nasty!

Have you run a good registry repairer. So often, I find that the OS cannot see what it does not know is there. So, we have to whack it upside the hard-drive and juggle with the registry.

Hey, every challenge is a mission to Mars... :whistling: