Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No means, no! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

GreekFire

GreekFire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, currently I've been having trouble with this instruction.

Next go to Start Menu >> Run, then type:

cleanmgr

click OK, when Disk Cleanup opens go to the 'More Options' tab and press 'Cleanup' on the system restore area which will remove all the restore points except the one we just created. To close Disk Cleanup and remove the Temporary Internet Files detected in the initial scan click OK then choose Yes on the confirmation window.

It doesn't freeze, but the process never completes. It just keeps checking. Should I just skip this? I should mention that prior to this System Restore, I had had it turned off, and had deleted all my previous restore points when I did so (about 2 months ago).

Advertisements

cfa-ddg2

cfa-ddg2

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 963 posts
If you had system restore turned off until now, there may not be any old restore points to delete...in that case you could skip the 'deleting'. You can check what restore points are on your computer by doing this:

1.Click Start.
2.Point to All Programs.
3.Point to Accessories.
4.Point to System Tools.
5.Click System Restore.

Then click on Restore Computer to an Earlier Time and this will then show you a list of available restore points...if the only one that is there is the one you just created, you should be fine.

If there is a restore point from before you were clean, it would be optimal to remove it from your machine obviously as it would be infected...

There are a lot more instructions as to how to deal with System Restore issues found here: System Restore FAQ.

Hope this helps... and answers your questions! Good luck!

GreekFire

GreekFire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks again for all your help! :whistling:

cfa-ddg2

cfa-ddg2

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 963 posts
You are welcome! :whistling:

cfa-ddg2

cfa-ddg2

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 963 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.