Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Science Question

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Okay, I have a computer science question. When two hard drives are connected via the same IDE cable, are the drives able to directly access each other, or do they use DMA, or does everything have to be passed through the processor? I was just wondering, if anybody knows the answer, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The processor is the brain of the computer. Without it none of the hardware would work together to do anything at all. No, the hard drives cannot talk to each other in terms of transferring information. It still has to go thru the processor.

SRX660

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Not quite, "A DMA transfer essentially copies a block of memory from one device to another. While the CPU initiates the transfer, it does not execute the transfer itself. Bus designs such as PCI typically use bus mastering DMA, where the device takes control of the bus and performs the transfer itself."

More information here.