Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Burner Issues

• Please log in to reply

Exdeus

Exdeus

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello. I just purchased a brand new (two weeks old) laptop. It is a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4114. It has a DVD recorder built into it that can obviously record DVD and CD. The only mentions of DVD recording in the manuals appear to be DVD-RAM though. I want to burn some video files that I have onto a DVD+R and it either tells me the D: drive is inaccessible or its invalid media whenever I put in a DVD+R. I have tried both regular and dual layer discs.

Now, the only thing in the manual is it says that I need to Right Click on the drive, click Properties, and if I want to enable write to DVD-RAM only I need to uncheck the Write something something CD box. However, if I want to burn CD's, I need to re-enable this. I have tried it both ways and still get the same errors. I have restarted and just cannot figure this out and Toshiba's tech support site sucks and its too late to call :whistling: .

Anyways, any assistance on this issue would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got DVD writing software

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I was wondering if you tried a post in the "toshiba" either General or Peer to Peer Forums which are part of the overall Notebook Forums which has other brands as well i.e. HP/Compaq, Sony, Acer etc.
The Link for the Notebook Forums which you will scroll down til you get to the Toshiba heading is:

My Webpage

I have asked some model specific questions there and gotten replies from owners of the same model, although I must say not all of the time.
You may want to give that forum a try and see if you have any luck.
Have a great day and cheers.

( I should say if the model is really new sometimes it is too early to get a reply in the peer to peer and a post in the General Forum might get more attention.

Good Luck!! :whistling:

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks guys. Yes, I have DVD burning software, but its awful. I tried to just do it through the windows built in software by the drag and drop method and by creating a folder, moving the files, and selecting the burn option. No success with any of it.

Just to update, I posted at that site, links here if anyone would like to follow it:

Notebook Forum Posting

Edited by Exdeus, 25 August 2006 - 10:00 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it see files on a DVD -R / +R disc you have already made, even on another PC

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Does it see files on a DVD -R / +R disc you have already made, even on another PC

I haven't tried another PC yet. However, I tried multiple blank DVD's. So, I pulled from the middle of the stack of 25 and the bottom and the top and everywhere in between :whistling: Thanks though...I have checked most of what I thought would be the obvious, such as the discs and such. No red exclamations in the Device Manager, etc.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a DVDR disc which has files on it, see if your PC can see them

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

If you have a DVDR disc which has files on it, see if your PC can see them

Sorry I misunderstood your original post.

The only burned DVD I have are either direct backup copies of DVD's that I own those were all detected and opened by my computer automatically when I put in the DVD's.

Also on a side note, something I found odd was that whenever I put in other blank DVD's the error stating

D:/ is inaccessible
Incorrect Function

Whats wierd about it is that it pops up automatically when I don't even try to access the drive. I have never had that pop up before until I try to access the drive by a program or Windows Explorer.

Edited by Exdeus, 25 August 2006 - 10:39 PM.

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Also, when right clicking on the drive and properties there is a tab I have never seen before. Its called DLA.

In this tab, there is the following information presented as so:

Drive: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S (fw:1.60)
Disc: No Media

Drag-and-drop recording
Select this option to use Drive Letter Access (DLA) as your drag-and-drop software for your recorder drive(s).

<Check Box> Enable DLA on your drives <box is checked>

Reset Warnings Dialogs <button you can push>

Sonic <-company logo

Im heading off to bed, have to be up early. I will check back in the morning.

Thanks for the help Keith

Edited by Exdeus, 25 August 2006 - 10:49 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it Sonic software

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Excellent observation, " is it Sonic software'?

I had horrible issues with my present 3 yr old toshiba and that software. I had to rid of it to do decent dvd's. Toshiba comes with horrible dvd software that causes a lot of headaches!!!!

Just a btw comment!!! :whistling: