Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply

Cynn

Cynn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My laptop starts up fine. When I log into my user account, the computer won't do anything.
Most of the time when I click on the Start bar it does nothing. Sometimes I can get the Start Menu to pop up though. When I click anything on the start menu, the computer does nothing. If I click on any of the icons on the desktop, the computer does nothing.

The following Windows Explorer error pops up.

EventType : InPageError P1 c000009c P2 : 00000003

C:\DOCUME~1\MORGAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4222.dir00\explorer.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\MORGAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER222.dir00\appcompat.txt

If I let the computer sit there for a few minutes similar messages pop-up. Another one is posted below.

EventType : InPageError P1 c000009c P2 : 00000003

C:\DOCUME~1\MORGAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERbf17.dir00\explorer.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\MORGAN~1\LOCALS~1\TempWERbf17.dir00\appcompat.txt

Also, another error I thought I should include. After this message pops up all of the icons and the start bar disappear from the screen.

DrWatson Postmortem Debugger
EventType: BEX P1: DRWTSN32.EXE P2: 5.1.2600.0 P3: 3b7d84a2
P4: dbghelp.dll P5: 5.1.2600.2180 P6: 4110969a P7: 0001295d
P8: c000409 P9: 0000000

I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting this computer problem. If anyone can offer any type of help, I'd greatly appreciate it. :whistling:

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go start ..control panel system then hardware then device manager check your network adapters see if theres a yellow mark if so right click then update it

if not yellow then right click then uninstall it computer will find it and update it

Edited by rushin1nd, 26 August 2006 - 12:29 AM.

Cynn

Cynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Please re-read my first post. When I click on anything--be it an icon on the desktop or the start menu-- the computer does nothing.

Edited by Cynn, 26 August 2006 - 12:45 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
just following up on this error c000009c P2 : 00000003but its ok sorry

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
look at this

Internet Explorer Crashes
Published by Administrator July 12th, 2005 in Computers.

Internet Explorer began to crash, very often… and for no aprearent reason. I was able to tollerate it for one day, when I finnally snaped, and suddenly had to resolve the issue. Below is the Error message:

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

EventType : InPageError P1 : c000009c P2 : 00000003
C:\DOCUME~1\….\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0234.dir00\iexplore.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\….\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0234.dir00\appcompat.txt

Now What does all that garbage mean? If you follow the links they provide, you will not learn much. A better place to find out what is happening is the event logs. Click Start, Right click “My Computer”, then click on “Manage”. This opens up Computer Management. Select Event Viewer, then double click the Application Log. This is a Log of events for your computer. I found this event just 5 seconds before every IE crash in my system… Its kinda long but here it is…

Windows cannot access the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Shell Doc Object and Control Library because of this error.

Program: Shell Doc Object and Control Library
File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.
Additional Data
Error value: C000009C
Disk type: 3

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

shdoclc.dll is a library used by Windows applications to add basic file and networking operations. I opend my command prompt typed “chkdsk /f” just as described in the event viewer…. and what do you know, it fixed multiple errors. Why this happed is unknow. Fingers are crossed that it’s not Hard Disk failure.

UPDATE: Friday July 14, 2005
WELL After all that, I was concerned about the hard drive. I have a samsung drive. I went to the samsung website and downloaded a utility that checks the hard drive for problems. The utility found multiple problems and suggested I replace the drive. So since the drive is only 2 months old. I RMA the figgin’ thing.

shdoclc.dll did you see this error on bottom of page or in the address bar just look at your network adapters if im wrong ill leave your post

needaclue

needaclue

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

I have the exact same problem..tried the solution posted using "chkdsk" and it didn't turn up any hard disk faults. Any other solution?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
this may not fix your error but it will clean some of the crap on your disk improve things a bit

go start click run .. type in .. prefetch ..click ok then upper left click edit...select all .. on any blue file right click then delete

try to do a little cleaning and defragmenter

http://www.ccleaner.com/

go start ...all programs...accesseries..system tools click on defragmenter then defragment

now REBOOT

Edited by rushin1nd, 26 August 2006 - 11:30 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you log into Safe Mode? If you can, please look in Admin Tools at the event logs, and note any errors you are seeing. Alternatively, see if you can create another user account with admin privileges. I'd like to know if your account is corrupted or Windows is broken.
Johanna

needaclue

needaclue

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Johanna,

Yeah I can log into Safe mode but I get the same windows explorer error and the computer freezes....eventually it does start working again but I cannot touch "My Programs" in the Start Menu, My Computer or any program which uses a file viewer. I'm not even able to run prefetch from run. The prefetch window opens, I get the "explorer not responding errror "and then everything freezes till I end the prefetch task from task manager. Internet connection through AOL still works.
I checked the Event viewer in Admin Log (Control Panel works) and found the error "Windows cannot access the file C:\Windows32\System\Shell32.dll" event id 1005. Also event id 1000 "explorer.exe error, module fault -shell32.dll".
I've run scf \scannow and chkdsk /f /r and no change. Do I need to do a Windows XP Repair install?

I also created an account with adminsitrator rights..and that works fine.

Edited by needaclue, 26 August 2006 - 02:30 PM.