Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

cleatus fist

cleatus fist

• Pip
  • 7 posts
alright folks.

new member with a slight prob.

i just bought a new drive to store my music, using itunes! the new drive is FAT32 and my notebook is NTFS.

will this be a problem, or should I reformat the external to NTFS?? what are the pro's and cons ?

I know a bit about computers but not enough to make a decision like this.

any help much appreciated.

scott.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I perfer my externals to be FAT32. Windows reads and writes in it as do most other operating systems in use today (linux,BSD,Mac). Portability between OSs is the bigest pro and no real cons I can think of other than fragmentation and the need to defrag on occasion.

Edited by silverbeard, 26 August 2006 - 01:48 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Not quite clear if "using itunes" means it is a music player leave it as it is as most USB stuff is fat 32 and works well. One can plug fat 32 stuff in NTFS laptops but not NTFS stuff in a windows 98 computer. A bit more detail please.

cleatus fist

cleatus fist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i use itunes as the operating platform, the programme with which i access my albums etc. the external is connected to the notebook via USB 2, and this contains the actual music files, itunes is simply pointed to the E drive.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I would just leave it as it is then. I cannot see a big advantage in reformating it.