Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Manual System Building and Upgrading

• Please log in to reply

dan_2k

dan_2k

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all geeks heh,

I am currently about to go to university in the Uk and need quite abit of help,

I have a pretty good idea of a hand full of Notebooks that i can buy.

I would like to know if it is possible to manually take out graphics cards of a notebook computer and replace them with a one i buy from a shop, as i have very little experience with notebooks.

I really want a high end computer, if i buy them online, its slightly cheaper but the companies dont often ship to me (in Hong Kong) and so i found out when i had to upgrade my Home PC that it is very cheap to buy parts over here (excessively cheap)

I know that i can add ram to notebook pcs and i will probably end up buy buying some for the specific model that i buy but before that i just wanted to know about the graphics card options, specifically because, high end graphics card notebook models are very expensive and i noe that individual parts are very cheap - put two and two together and its cheaper.

if possible i was wondering if i can change processors or watever.

hopefully you can help me out, and i need this info soon if possible

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
no you can not replace a grahics card on a laptop

for the reson that most of them are intergrated OR the actually grahics card is built into the motherboard of the laptop

you can not replace the grahics cards the only upgrades that i no of that you can do to a laptop is adding RAM and expansion cards (like ethernet, wireless cards and stuff like that)
and i havent heard of anyone replacing a CPU on a laptop to many compatabiltie issue's

troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah way to many issues, parts are cheap here though, the way i worked it is i got a PC instead a laptop and use a pen to get files from home to uni and that works well because i wanted a powerful PC.

You can get powerful laptops but they are very expensive, th ebest gfx you can get is a 7900GTX in a laptop but i havent seen a laptop with one of those for less than £2000.

PS. what Uni are you going to.