Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Port issues

• Please log in to reply

LD50

LD50

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright, here's the deal. :whistling:

I have my mouse, my keyboard, my wireless internet adapter, and a gamepad hooked up to the 4 USB ports in the back of my tower. They all work fine.

When I try and plug in my little flash drive to either the front or the back USB ports, I'll get the standard taskbar popups saying New Hardware Found... Configured and Ready To Use, etc. But then I can't access it. It isn't anywhere in My Computer, and when I try to manually go in (F:\) it still can't find it.

The same thing happens when I try and connect my digital camera.

I'm wondering if I need to run some kind of setup to get my USB ports to work fully. I recently put in a new motherboard (Asus P4P800 SE).

:blink:

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. When did this start? Have you made any changes to the system recently? Is all proper software installed?

LD50

LD50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
As I said, I recently put in that new motherboard, which I'm guessing is the reason. I remember reading somewhere that there's a tool you can download and run that checks your USB stuff?

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Just an idea - maybe you have to turn on the devices when you have them plugged into the USB ports so windows can read it?

Edited by emery, 27 August 2006 - 01:27 PM.

LD50

LD50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nah, the camera was on and the flash drive doesn't have that option. They both work fine on another computer, and used to work on mine.

._.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Has the problem started since you've installed the new motherboard?

LD50

LD50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying -_-;

Since I installed the motherboard they haven't worked (thought I mentioned that in all of my previous posts).

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Sorry about that... Did you get an installation CD with your motherboard?

LD50

LD50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah, and I did run it. Maybe there was something in there I didn't do, I'll check it out.

The CD does have "USB 2.0 Driver" but when I click it, a text document comes up saying:

Windows XP USB2.0 Driver Installation
====================================

Please using Windows XP SP1 (Service Pack 1) or later versions, you DO NOT need to
install this driver, because they already contain software support for USB 2.0.

I already have the USB 2.0 Driver, so that isn't the problem.

When I plug in, say, my "USB Mass Storage Device" it shows up under Device Manager. The problem is, nothing comes up under My Computer, and I cannot access the device. In Device Manager, I right click and choose Properties, and it says it's working just fine.

Edited by LD50, 01 September 2006 - 02:31 AM.

LD50

LD50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Anyone? :whistling:

Here's a (probably) useless pic:

Posted Image

Edited by LD50, 16 September 2006 - 04:30 PM.