Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mpegs won't play in WMP

• Please log in to reply

wicasa

wicasa

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Help desperately needed please.

Sorry it's a bit of a long post but all the information I have is included.

Windows Media Player will not play mpegs. WMP will play wmvs and avis. I can play mpegs with Nero Show Time, WMP Classic, Power DVD and Quick Time; the same files that WMP won't, so the files are okay. Gspot tells me the codecs needed for these files are installed and okay. WMP error code C00D11CD: Unknown error, which I know is a difficult one to track down. Motion DV Studio and Movie maker will also not recognise these mpegs.

Gspot tells me the following are a problem:
DSH DivXAntiFreeze {79A00187-F159-4B89-981B-F81D51504201} 0x00800001 ** File Missing:
ACM Base MSACM.CEGSM ** Missing file:
mobilev.acm ACM Base msacm.l3codecp ** Missing file:
DSH PCM Morgan Stream Switcher {D3CD7858-971A-4838-ACEC-40CA5D529DC8} 0x00800003
** File Missing:
DSH Stream Subtitle Parser {52780691-D7F8-4335-B38E-EC40280EDC57} 0x00600000 ** File Missing:
DSH Text Subtitle Dest {E2BD78F2-79A2-413D-A052-EE2E91B9D821} 0x00200000 ** File
Missing:
DSH YUY2 Subtitle Mixer {00A95963-3BE5-48C0-AD9F-3356D67EA09D} 0x0080000a ** File
Missing:
DSH YUY2 Bicubic Video Resizer {AA59CBFA-F731-49E9-BE78-08665F339EFC} 0x00800002 ** File
Missing:
DSH YV12 Nero Digital AVC Video Enc {426F6A6F-FEF8-4A5B-8DDC-099E7499EF50} 0x00200000 ** File Missing:

Other strange and possibly connected events:

I tried to play a DVD with Cyberlink Home Cinema after this happened
and had to reset the Region Code.

When I opened an mpeg file with Cyberlink Power DVD an icon for Itunes
default playlist appeared on the desktop and this happened every time.

Action so far:
I've tried system restore.
I've updated Directx and WMP; rolled WMP back to v.9 and updated again to v.10, without any change.
I ran sfc/scannow
I've uninstalled Itunes.
I reinstalled DivX.

Questions:

What action should I take to address the gspot report?
Should I uninstall/reinstall Power DVD?
Should I uninstall/reinstall Nero as gspot says files are missing?

I am considering a Repair Install of WXP Home if I can’t come up with another solution. Would this be the best bet? (This might be problematic as I will have to borrw a WXP disc as I only have a Restore disc on a preinstalled system).

Is it possible to uninstall WMP 10, (I'm told not because it is an integral part of WXP). If so, would it help and how to do it safely?

Thank you in advance for any possible help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check system restore is on, WMP will only roll back if it is during a WMP install

Try MP 11 Beta

http://www.filehippo...s_media_player/

wicasa

wicasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about WMP 11 but hesitated as it is a Beta and thought it might cause me more grief. Presumably updating to v.11 will hopefully reinstall codecs and such?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's the theory, with system restore on you can use add / remove to uninstall it if it doesn't change anything

wicasa

wicasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well I tried WMP 11 but it hasn't made any difference I'm sorry to say. As a matter of interest, is it worth leaving WMP 11 on the system or would you recommend rolling it back to v10?

Thre has been further development since my earlier post. I have just discovered something which probably goes some way to geting to the root of this problem.

This problem arose immediately following my teenage son downloading and running some dubious movies, (we have talked about this on a number of occassions but that's for another forum). I never got to see the movies but I know what they were from the titles as they were still listed in recent documents. I tried to open them from there to see what he had been up to; they never opened and from that moment on I have had the problem as described in detail above. Suspecting a virus or similar, I ran an ewido scan and AVG scan. AVG showed nothing but I've just found out that the ewido scan showed a trojan, (my son closed ewido before I got to see the results and which trojan). I've since run AVG, Ewido and AdAware with clean results.

So, it could be a trojan that has caused this problem, do you think? In which case I presume Repair Install would be the only answer or is there a nice easy alternative?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A repair install would not necessarily clear the trojan

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

The Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP provides a simple and effective way to defend shared computers from untrusted users and malicious software, safeguard system resources, and enhance and simplify the user experience. The Toolkit runs on genuine copies of Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home Edition, and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition :whistling:

wicasa

wicasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Keith

There's no sign of a trojan now. My son told me that one had been reported by ewido but he cleaned it and closed ewido. It would have been really useful to know what it was. The scan record wasn't saved either. I've run a number of ewido, AVG and AdAware scans since and nothing shows. I've also rebooted a few times in case it reproduced itself. If it is a trojan that has done this presumably I will have to replace/repair the damaged Windows files and I can only think of a repair install. Of course this could be a complete red herring but if rtojans exist that can do this, it is a big concidence. It would fit the events perfectly.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Post the Hijack This Log because they will spot anything which shouldn't be there

If the system is clean a repair install could help

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

For the error

http://msmvps.com/bl...cles/10729.aspx

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The log is here

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=769813

You will get mail notifiers in the same way

Did the other link show anything

http://msmvps.com/bl...cles/10729.aspx

wicasa

wicasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi

No there was nothing from the other link.

I can't see anything I don't recognise from the log so I hope it's clean.

Advertisements

wicasa

wicasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Keith

Just to say thanks very much for your help so far. I'll wait and see what the log shows.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

wicasa

wicasa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Come on guys, there must be a multi media genius out there that can help. Since the last post, I’ve run a repair install, installed the Microsoft MPEG2 decoder utility, uninstalled and reinstalled Power DVD and run some codec checkers. It has not made any difference; I still can't play mpegs in WMP.

When trying to open MPEG1 files in Moviemaker, Moviemaker reports: ‘MPEG could not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted’. The same files will open in Power DVD, Nero Show, WMP Classic so they are not corrupted and are supported. Opening them with Gspot tells me they are mepg1 and that the codecs needed are installed.

AVIcodec says everything is okay and all installed codecs are enabled.

Running a codec check with Sherlock I get: ‘Warning the following codecs were found broken.
Audio codec: Morgan Stream Switcher
Video codec: Bicubic Video Resizer, Subtitle Mixer.

Would this be the problem as I can play the mpegs okay with the other programs?

I have done everything I can think of. Please someone help!!

markpennock

markpennock

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After reading this topic I'm affraid to say that I to have had an identical problem. MPEG-1 files work on all other players (e.g Quicktime, VLC Player), I have reinstalled all my codecs with up to date versions but still WMP won't play the files.

For me this all begun when I installed WMP_11, this isn't an issolated case either by the looks of things as I have read many posts on other forumns complaining of the same thing. So unless some of you 'Geeks' have any other suggests I think our best bet is to wait for Microsoft to realise their mistakes and wait for an updated version of WMP. Other than that I don't know what else we can do.

wondering why

wondering why

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Try this codec Pac it's one of the best...

http://www.xpcodecpack.com/