Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Grinding Halt?!

• Please log in to reply

Jwarne

Jwarne

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello,
The other week Buckeye_Sam did me a huge favour helping me get rid of some adware/spyware that was resisting my Spybot S&D scans. I was successful, finally, at getting rid of them, but now my computer is acting funny. Commonly, I'll get an 'explorer.exe error' and I'll have to reboot, or the task bar at the bottom of my desktop will disappear and I'll have to logout and back in in order to make it reappear. The biggest thing is that now when I load windows the computer takes about 10 minutes and for minutes at a time it juist sits there, seemingly doing nothing, without making a sound until the loading process continues. Did I do something wrong?

Any help would be great. Is there a windows scan program that will check the set-up, registry, and/or installation of windows for problems, then preferably fix them? I'm afraid I might have deleted something important. Registry Mechanic says there's nothing wrong with my registry.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you have your XP cd, try a System File Check first.
Start > Run > cmd then type
sfc /scannow
(note the space!)
You will be prompted for your cd

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

System File Checker (sfc)
Scans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer.

Post back if there is any improvement, or none. We like to know, andthere are other diagnostics we can help you with.
Johanna

Jwarne

Jwarne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hey,
Thanks I just got your reply. I ran the scan and it found a bunch of problems but all of them contained the lines "could not be copied" and "user cancelled," etd.

Here's an example:

The system file c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\logscrpt.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is 0x000004c7 [The operation was canceled by the user.
]. This file is necessary to maintain system stability.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.