Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup files

• Please log in to reply

Southend

Southend

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
This maybe the wrong group, if so my opoligies, but I am running out of ideas of how to solve the problem that it takes about 10 minutes from turning on my daughter Toshiba Laptop to finally get to the desktop. The last programme to execute is MSN Messenger that she uses a lot. I have run numerous scans including Multi AV and has found nothing. It also is upto date with AVG Free, Spybot and AdAware. When I look at what startup files she has I can only identify 3, but I suspect there are many hidden that leaves the computer slowly trawling through at a very slow pace. I also installed Process Explorer but nothing I see looks suspect. The processor isn't that fast, but originally it ran a lot quicker, I also removed some of the programmes that have not be used for some time.

Could anyone perhaps point me to what perhaps my next course of action may be?

Many thanks in advance. :whistling:

Advertisements

Plies

Plies

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Perhaps a good Disk Cleanup & Disk Defragment are in order? :whistling:

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks for your quick reply 'Plies', a disk cleanup and defrag was one of the first things I did, I should have said that.

Regards

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
so you went to safemode and found only 3 programs

try to do a disk scan

go start my computer right click on C: drive..right click properties ..select tools ....check now ..check both boxes...automatically fix file system errors...scan and attempt to repair all sectors

restart if a black window shows and you see a flashing white bar type the letter then hit entery

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks Rushin..., I did a check disk which found no errors.

Now I think it maybe a case of what startup progs I can remove because I did a run > msconfig and in the 'general' folder selected : "Diognostic Startup - load basic services and devices only, this booted up quickly. Any advice on what I should delete ?

Thanks

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I installed 'Remove Startup Programmes'
http://www.majorgeek...uddy_d4572.html
Looking through the various startup progs I don't see any obvious malitious progs and do not have the knowledge to remove any others without risk. It's a shame I can not copy/paste all the lists of them.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
can you make list of start up items in safemode

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Don't know how to do that.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
hey there,

a quick and easy way to list all of these programs is to use 'hijack this' - though this sounds risky - it isn't.

Please however do not use this program for anything other than what i'm asking for

***** Please note using any other aspect of this program without advanced knowledge can result in critical system failure which can be unrecoverable***** PLEASE DO ONLY AS INSTRUCTED!!!

download the program from here;

http://www.bleepingc.../hijackthis.php

install it to it's own folder in C (note this has to be a folder in C NOT WITHIN PROGRAM FILES. an ideal location is C:/hijackthis

once installed, run it. Once ran, it will display a screen (looks a touch intimidating) - only click misc tools - then uninstall manager. this will list all apps on your machine - then click save list. this will save a log in your hijack this folder that you can then post on here to aid your current fix. **close hijack this - and worry not**

Hope this helps.

Steve
:whistling:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
not asking for hijack just wanted an idea of whats in your start up list
some programs maybe starting up lookng for updates others maybe scanning for errors then your gonna have your antiviris which you need at start up ifyou put it all to gether it could be why your computer takes long to reach your desktop

no idont want a hijack log just want to know what requires such a sudden start up if you can think of a few that would be good then we could disable them the important ones we will keep running

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, there are various ways to speed up the start up. If you just want to see what is starting up on the computer.

Press the winkey + r on your keyboard
type: msconfig
press: enter
mouse over to: starts up
press: enter
disable: the ones you know to be of no use to you.

But how do you know which you need of not, well that is why we asked you to show us a hjt log for the Hijackthis program.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try to run these 2 programs

how does your computer run after it gets to the desktop

does it run normal or slow

Edited by rushin1nd, 28 August 2006 - 09:44 AM.

Upgrade

Upgrade

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
You have be carefull with disabling startups on Toshiba laptops. Most have between 40-50 processes that are from software included with the laptop, I have yet to figure out exactly how much is required (betting its no much). Good part is some of the stuff that I would def not want to kill is not in the run subkeys. It is in the startup directory.

I once helped a guy who had a Toshiba laptop, he was complaining of a slow computer. He had over 167 processes running. His computer was not infected either, he had McAfee, Norton, Edwido, AVG, Spybot, Pest Patrol, and Spyware Doctor. Seems that he his computer was slow, so he installed a new AV program, that made is slower and rather then putting two and two to make four, he continued to install AV programs. Once I told him what was really causing his "screaming machine" to slow he started sorting out exactly what he needed running.

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks for all your replies, I've been away this week hence not replied. Will have a look at some of the suggestions above this weekend.

Again, many thanks.
:whistling:

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm scratching my head on this one?

<snip>
Press the winkey + r on your keyboard
<snip>

What's 'winkey' ?