Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp monitor goes blank

• Please log in to reply

fmg

fmg

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Repeated problem. The power is on. Blue light is on. The cords are good. The pins are straight. The monitor displays flawlessly except the screen goes blank. I just left it unplugged for 10-20 minutes, turned on my computer again and I now have picture. Can a monitor overheat? Is this monitor going out?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Yes, a monitor can over heat. A CRT would be more likely to do that than a flat panel monitor. It could be that the monitor is going bad. How old is it? Is it a CRT?

fmg

fmg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's a flat screen. Better to replace it or fix it?

fmg

fmg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's 14 months old. Just past the warranty.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Prices have come down on flat panel monitors. I have seen them at Sam's Club for less than $200.00. You could probably find a CRT for half of that. Fix it? That would depend on what kind of cost estimate you get from a shop you trust. Does the repair cost compare favorably vs replacement?

fmg

fmg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your time. I think I'll limp along then but a new one. Thanks again.