Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VGAOEM.FON ERROR

• Please log in to reply

puzzled1

puzzled1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi

I tried to repair the vgaoem.fon error using the MS fix but when I typed in the command in the dos prompt line , it returned" file not found".
the command I type is as follows:
expand e:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ c:\windows\system
I tried using other drive letters that didnt work either. please help if you can. this is my daughters computer and she has a vast photo and music library she is really hoping not to lose

this is the fix I am referring to

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use the Windows Recovery Console to extract the Vgaoem.fon file from the Windows XP compact disc to the Windows\System folder on your computer's hard disk. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.
2. Insert the Windows XP compact disc into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
3. When the Press any key to boot from CD dialog box is displayed, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP compact disc.
4. When the Welcome to Setup screen is displayed, press R to start the Recovery Console.
5. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, select the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
6. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.
7. At the command prompt, type map, and then press ENTER.

Note the drive letter assigned to the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP compact disc. It is displayed in a format similar to the following:
D: \Device\CdRom0
8. Type the following line, and then press ENTER (where CD-ROM drive is the letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP compact disc, and drive is the letter of the drive on which Windows is installed):
expand CD-ROM drive:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ drive:\windows\system
For example, type the following:
expand d:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ c:\windows\system
Note the underscore character after the "o" in "Vgaoem.fo_".

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is there a space here

fo_ c:

puzzled1

puzzled1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Im unsure what you are asking me. sorry to be so slow in understanding your question
I did use the underscore but no space anywhere after it

puzzled1

puzzled1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I should mention that this is a dell computer meaning I have limited access to changing thing in my bios such as the boot order. ( I could only eliminate everything but the cd rom drive, rather than to flip the order, so that the hard drive is second in line to be looked for) perhaps this is part of the problem?
thanks very much

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you press space

d:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ .................... c:\windows\system

Only once :whistling:

puzzled1

puzzled1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ahh ok, that worked ( doh) :whistling:
now then, it is EVER so slowly reloading windows, took 5 minutes just to show wallpaper only. I assume this is because it is using the xp disk rather than the hard drive as I do not have the hard drive enabled to boot from right now? so far the wallpaper and desktop icons are up but the hourglass is still poppin in and out . Im GUESSINg its far from done.
assuming it completes, is it then that I remove the disk and restart?
( the MS instructions are a little vague:

Vgaoem.fo_
1 file(s) expanded.

9. Type exit.

The computer restarts.
10. Remove the Windows XP compact disc from the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then start the computer normally.

also, do I then need to run a scan disk to find and fix any errors or is she
" good to go" ( groan)
PS I have a teenager for sale, comes with cellphone, crappy proprietary dell 4700 computer, I pod, backpack full of due on monday but not completed homework assignments, horrible sleeping and eating habits, and likes to spend your money.
Anyone interested? anyone!?
:blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

puzzled1

puzzled1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks very much

here is where it is at now.
I pulled the xp cd and restarted the computer.
I then had to go back into BIOS and reset it to boot off harddrive rather than cd rom
than it booted up verrrry slowly ( ten minutes)

1.there was an error message once it completed:
"this application has failed to start because MMVCP70.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem"
is this a problem that needs to be addressed, ? (my aughter just informed me that it has given her this error message for the last two years.. and she has always just closed the error message window and continued the boot up )

it also showed an update to Mcafee was downloaded and prompted me to restart-- so I did.

2.now it is still taking ten minutes just to boot up again.
is this normal?

3.also this computer has executive software disk defragmenter installed on it which I think does not allow for using windows disk defrag. should I run the exec disk defrag or try and use windows defragmenter?

I'm sorry to take so much of your time on this. I REALLY appreciate your help Keith

Andrew

Edited by puzzled1, 26 August 2006 - 05:30 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, click select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

Run the executive one

Have you got Music Match

puzzled1

puzzled1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yes, she has music match, she says "I haven't used it in 'forever' "

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That is the programme you need to re-install

puzzled1

puzzled1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thank you Keith
I am starting to do as suggested above on her system.
in regards to this:
I looked at this on my computer . there are 130 files in there, should I also delete all of them as well on my computer?
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, click select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This looks at prefetch

http://keith.geeksto...om/Prefetch.htm

puzzled1

puzzled1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
her system is not acting normally at all.
the start menu key says STAR not start,
everything loads super slow, even typing has a 30 second lag before a typedcharacter appears on screen.
I was able to download the tune up program but it had an error and would not install.
i tried to run diskeeper and it tried to install it rather than open it, and the install failed.
there was nothing in her prefetch folder either.
seems like the hard drive is running on one cylinder
is it time to reinstall the xp disk?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update