Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unmountable boot drive / recovery console

• Please log in to reply

khyde144

khyde144

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My sister has a gateway laptop with windows xp. She was on it the other night and her zone alarm popped up with a message and her computer locked up. Ever since then, she has been unable to boot up. When we turn the computer on, it takes us to a screen that says windows was shut down improperly and select the mode you want to start it in. No matter what option you select, (safe mode, last known good configuration), it takes you to a blue screen that flashes by very quickly, then it starts all over again. After several attemps, we can make out on the blue screen the following: A problem has been detected and your computer will be shut down to prevent damage

unmountable_boot (there's a little more after but I can't read it)

There's a lot more but I only get about 5 seconds to read the screen. I have found some articles that talk about it but they all say I need to run check disk from the recovery console. I can't get a recovery console. I have the operating system cd that came with her computer. In the notes I found they tell me to hit R and it will take me to a command prompt. I can't get to a command prompt. Last resort I will reinstall the operating system but I wanted to try every option before I started. Any ideas or suggestions?

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi khyde144. Welcome to geeks to go. Take a look at this
and see if it helps.
How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP
also Can't boot from your CD? Please see the note at the bottom of that page
(Configuring Your Computer to Boot from CD).

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Edited by 4238dwight, 26 August 2006 - 08:40 PM.

khyde144

khyde144

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. I didn't read that article but I had found one really similar and had already tried it. My problem is when I boot from the cd - I don't get the same screens they talk about. I do get where they ask me to hit r (but its on a black background not blue). Then it tells me it is trying to repair hard drive. I never get the setup screen or the user license agreemnet page. It will finally come up to a system recovery screen with the gateway symbol on top. It tells me that for system restore to continue, all files on the user patition will be lost and the original factory shipped files will be recovered to the user partition. Do you want to continue. Then I only have an ok button. No way to cancel out of it.

I had read that a check desk could find the problem but I can't ever get to a command prompt. I suppose that I should just continue on from this point but she had just put on pictures from her high school graduation and didn't have a chance to back them up so I was trying all options before I erased all her data. Its frustrating because her computer is only 3 months old.

Any other ideas or do you suggest I keep going and reinstall?

Again, thanks for your help.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
I think I would wait maybe someone like Keith
or wannabe1 will have the fix for it. Sorry that did not work.
Good Luck with it. Dwight :whistling:

Edited by 4238dwight, 26 August 2006 - 09:35 PM.