Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Adapter Errors

• Please log in to reply

rachelp

rachelp

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
When I go into device manager on my Windows 2000 PC it shows that I have 14 unknown errors and a McAfee Firewall Network Filter Miniport error under my network adapters. These errors are not currently causing any problems, however, I would like to get them fixed before they do. The NIC went out on this computer and has been replaced. Could that have anything to do with the problem? Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what do you mean by "errors"?

Do you mean faulty adapters with red Xs or yellow !
?

Simply right click and remove them...sounds like bad driver installs for the previously faulty NIC.

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, faulty adapters with yellow X's that say 'Unknown Device' and one says 'McAfee Firewall Network Filter Miniport'. I'll try removing them as you suggested, I just wasn't sure why those would be there. Thanks!

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Try This

If this happened after running Ad-Aware

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It let me uninstall all but one of the unknown devices & the McAfee Firewall Network Filter Miniport. When I try to uninstall those 2 it tells me "Failed to uninstall device. This device may be required to boot up the computer" When I go into the properties of the McAfee Firewall Network Filter Miniport it says in the device status box that the error is a code 19 and that the registry could be corrupt. The status box in the properties of the unknown device says the error is code 23 and that drivers for this device are not installed. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Is mcafee still installed?

It probably cannot uninstall it because it was attached to a device that is no longer there--ie, the other NIC.

A simple solution might be to uninstall, then reinstall mcafee. Otherwise, we're looking at some registry diving.

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee and that didn't work. The old NIC is still in the computer because it's integrated into the motherboard, I just disabled it. The only way now is to go into the registry and change it? Can I get rid of the other 'unknown device' that is showing up under the network adapters as well as the McAfee Firewall Network Filter Miniport?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you disable it in Windows or in BIOS?

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I disabled it in windows

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
drop into bios and disable the onboard NIC..do you know how to do that?

If not, do you know your motherboard make and model? If you do not, download EVEREST HOME edition (google it), install and run, and look in the motherboard section of the report and report back ...

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No, I don't know how to disable it in the BIOS, I only know how to in the device manager in windows. The motherboard I have is OptiPlex GX240. I also cannot get the CD-ROM drive of this computer to work, I'm not sure why. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. The CDRW works on it. Any suggestions on that?

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oh, also when I go into the Add/Remove Hardware/Software Wizard to try to troubleshoot the network adapters (McAfee Firewall Network Mini Port & the unknown device) the 'unknown device' shows up as something called NET - any idea on what that could be?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Dell...tap the f2 key atop the keyboard when you see the DELL SPLASH Screen.

This will take you to a BLUE MENU SCREEN, scroll down to Integrated Devices, press enter, scroll down to NETWORK INTERFACE CONTROLER, turn it off.

Hit f10 to save, reboot.

Now see if you can delet

style23

style23

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I'm new and i'm going through the same thing with a computer that i'm working on now. I followed all the steps that were mentioned before and still no success. I went into my bios and I can't find the Integrated Devices or the NETWORK INTERFACE CONTROLER. Please help as this is driving me crazy... thanks

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Please start a new thread in the Windows XP, 200, 2003, NT Forum.
You will have a much better chance of getting your issue answered. Also include all details of your problem, and at the last you can add a link to this post to help. I recommend using your own details to make sure you get the best help possible.