Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply

thinkidmcchunk

thinkidmcchunk

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I'm having a problem with my sound. I know that all of my speakers are connected because when the computer reboots there's a woman's voice that says something that comes out the speakers. (This is before XP loads). Whenever I try to play any kind of sound (from Ares, YouTube.com, etc) I dont hear anything. I checked my drivers for exclamation points and X's and there are no alert symbols. I checked the system volume and everything's fine, but I still have no sound. I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi thinkidmcchunk, Welcome to geeks to go.
click start, control panel, sounds and audio devices.
under volune make sure the mute is not check.

thinkidmcchunk

thinkidmcchunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it's not muted.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
How long has this been happening, I am thinking along the lines of repair with XP cd, system restore or last known good configuration. Also check in mmsys.cpl if it is wrongly configured.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do ou see volume in task bar click on it is volume on full on al bars

thinkidmcchunk

thinkidmcchunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It was just working a week ago. I moved. It stopped working. All volume bars are full and I've had about 6 people try and help me and they are all baffled. There is nothing wrong with the speakers themselves. There is always this lady speaking whenever I reboot my computer. I still hear it. All of it happens before XP loads.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do a system restore go back week and a half

go start.. all programs...accesseries system tools....then system restore...pick best restore date

thinkidmcchunk

thinkidmcchunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
if i do that, do i lose any important files i may have gotten during that time?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
no you want
its one of xp best feature

Edited by rushin1nd, 26 August 2006 - 11:51 PM.

thinkidmcchunk

thinkidmcchunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just restored but it still doesnt work. I'm starting to think this may be a hardware problem.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Do you have some earplugs to use instead, if you get the same result you will know that it is not hardware.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
You could also try this: Uninstall the device from device manager, shut down the machine. Open up the computer case and take out the soundcard. Dust it off if necessary. Put it back in the slot and start your computer. Let windows go online and search for a driver.

This has worked for me a couple of times.

I hope it works for you too.

Good luck.

thinkidmcchunk

thinkidmcchunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to check the card itself sometime later today.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Good luck with it.

I hope it will fix the problem.