Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Overclocking Computer Dell Dimension 8100

• Please log in to reply

pepsiclock

pepsiclock

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I want to overclock my Dell Dimension 8100. I have a Radeon 9600 Sapphire Edition and I have ATI Tool Tray. I see that you can overclock the card there. I want to know if I could get into the BIOS and overclock my RAM and other things besides just the video card. I know I probably can't because it's a Dell but I've heard of people breaking into the company computers bios to be able to overclock. My other question is if I can't overclock anything but my video card is it safe to overclock the video card and nothing else? I am planning on buying 3DMark06 to be able to get the maximum of my system after the overclock.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
what are the specs of the computer?

pre-built systems are usually hard to overclock and they arent stabble because of the usually cheap RAM and PSU's that are in them i wouldnt suggest pushing it to far. you could only push it a little bit and that little bit isnt enough to see a performace gain

depending on the specs we will see what we can do

also the bios might be locked out because it is a pre-built computer

troppo

pepsiclock

pepsiclock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have 1.3 GHZ 384 MB RAM

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Is that intel or AMD? im guessing its an intel

your not going to get any type of performace gain out of that at all you would be better to go out and buy more RAM that are the same size at least get another 256 for a total of 512 or scrap them all together and get 2X 512Mb's of RAM provided that your system can handle that much

look i would seriuosly not suggest overclocking that at all but if you really want then raise teh FSB speeds by 10Mhz incriments and see if the system will post but be warned you could seriuosly damage your CPU,
i just have to say that i nor will this forum be responsable for any damage cause to your computer but we will help you to minimise the risk of damges

have you read the overclocking guide yet???
if not i would suggest that you do,
but dont expect mirecales out of that CPu because you wont even notice a large or in fact any increase in performace

troppo

Edited by troppo, 26 August 2006 - 09:58 PM.

pepsiclock

pepsiclock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have an Intel Pentium 4 1.3GHZ
I am gonna get 3DMark06 so I can overclock my video card. It easy to overclock it with the ATI Tool Tray. Do you think I could overclock it and actually see a difference?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
your not even going to get much out of your video card either,

the thing is i can overclock mine because it has teh same core as yours but by defualt it runs at a lower speed but your is pretty much at the max spped anyway so i wouldnt push it hardly at all if you want better performace i would say just upgrade your computer its pretty low by todays standards but the choicer is yours and i dubt you will even be able to run 3Dmark06 i would get 3Dmark 05 instead 2dmark 06 is for high end PCI-Express cards and to somewhat teh new generation of DX10 cards

troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dell + overclocking = Bad, dells dont want you to overclock so its rare you can do so in Bios and they only put the minimum of computing and the lowest quality standard kit, overclocking needs high quality everything.