Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ntldr Missing

• Please log in to reply

Garnuba

Garnuba

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I try to boot my comp I get the error message Ntldr is Missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart. This happend after I formated both my harddrives by right clicking on them and slecting the option of formatting(I think thats why I am having problems), I only have my Windows 2000 professional installed on my small harddrive. I tried to use an bootdisk called fixntldr.exe to make a bootdisk. I am posting this from my very unreliable old comp with xp.(Funny, old comp new os, New comp old os)I have looked around the forums and found numerous help request for this but most if not all where for xp. But what from what I gathered I need either a new Windows cd (I am considering to buy a win xp anyway), Get a bootdisk for win 2k(which im completely clueless on, tried reading through win support), or get a new harddrive?!?(might have misread that part). Thanks for the help in advanced you guys helped me alot in choosing my hardware parts- so thanks again Garnuba

Advertisements

funtmachine

funtmachine

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,

Definately wont need a new hard drive. this is a pretty common problem. Windows 2000 boot disk would be the go... Not exactly sure where you need to place the files in 2000, i know XP relies on NTLDR, Boot.ini so yeh, if you used the recovery console to replace those files you should be on the right track.

I have had this problem once, and i had just done a re format, so instead of messing around, and also because i didnt know what it was, i just reinstalled windows with a quick format...

probably not necessary, but hey....

Dave