Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System stutters when running programs/games

• Please log in to reply

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I'm having problems with my system lagging/slowing down when running programs and games. Basically, the programs will run fine for about 30sec to a minute and then they will slow down to a crawl. Then they will speed up and run fine again for another 30-45sec or so. Even programs that used to run fine are having problems. I thought it might be a malware issue, but I posted my HJT log on that board and the experts said I am clean. That leaves me with either a OS or hardware issue. I have made some upgrades over the last few months: inreased from 256 to 1G ram; installed 120GB slave harddrive; upgraded video and audio cards.

I thought the video/sound cards might be the problem so I pulled them out and reinstalled the factory cards. It cleared up the audio stuttering, but programs still slowdown every 30-45 seconds. I tried updating all of my drivers and changing my paging file, but nothing seems to work. I also tried all of the easy tweaks listed on the OS forum. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to mention that I also upgraded to SP2. I know other people have reported having problems resulting from this upgrade. Could this be part of the problem?