Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death, Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

canucks

canucks

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys,

New at this forum, one of my contacts point me here as I need help with my computer.

First off, let me start by saying that I dont know much about computer hardwares, softwares etc. so please I would really appreciate it if you can talk to me like im clueless, because I am :blink:

Ok as the topic says i've been getting the dreaded BSod error for the past few days, I've been searching around and asking people (seeems to be a very common problem) but I can't find a solution for my own problem so I decided to post here.

Here is my computer specs (According to my receipt):
CPU: Intel Celeron D 325 2.53GHZ
Memory: Samsung PC3200 1GB DDR400
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 200GB IDE ATA100

This is the STOP error I've been getting:
First: 0x0000008E(0xC0000090,0x3006E79B,0xF770D920,0x00000000)
Second: 0x0000008E(0xC0000090,0x3007D4AF,0xF0B058F0,0x00000000)

Dumpchk Screenshots (I think they are needed?)
http://www.uploadmin.../a9be544190.jpg
http://www.uploadmin.../d8d204c336.jpg
http://www.uploadmin.../ddd26a9239.jpg
http://www.uploadmin.../ac81a078cc.jpg

I have not installed any new hardware or software into my computer. I keep reading about running hardware diagnostics, making sure that my device drivers is up to date etc. but I have no idea what that means. :whistling:

Please let me know if you need to know anything else to help me resolve this ussue.

Here's the story. I leaved my computer on/login when I go to work and when I get home and used my computer I will sometimes noticed that im logoff so I thought that's a bit strange because im pretty sure I did not logoff and it probably happened like 2-3 times a week but I ignored it anyway. Not until early Monday morning that I caught it restart itself twice that's when I started doing some searching and someone suggeted to turn OFF "Automatically Restart" on System Failure option and that's when I get the BSoD.

Anyway please if you have any idea how to fix this I would I would really appreciate if you post here!

Thanks

* Please move this thread if it's on the wrong forum and I apologize in advance.

Edited by canucks, 27 August 2006 - 01:22 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From the auhma.org website.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

http://msdn.microsof...9933845.xml.asp

What this all means is that you probably have a conflict in your hardware drivers. You can look in your device manager to see if there are any conflicts between 2 different hardwares in the computer. If you do find a problem try to remove one of the hardware cards( if possible) to stop the error. I have had this error when i tried using a external HD on a computer with NF2 chipsets on the motherboard. There seems to be a conflict with the nvidia nforce PCI controller and the PCI to usb controller.

You might also look in your administrative tools/ event viewer to see if theres anything there. My external HD did have quite a few errors showing in event viewer.

SRX660

canucks

canucks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi SRX660,

Thanks for the reply.

Ok I found out how to get to the "device manager", im in there. But how to I find out if there is a "conflics" between by hardwares? Like I said I dont know much about this kind of things.

I also looked at my "Event Viewer" as you suggested, I took a screenshot of the dialogs:
http://www.uploadmin.../d27bf5a22c.jpg

Anything in particular stands out, that causing this problem?

Thanks for the help so far.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
In device manager you need to look at each item there by opening it up, right clicking the device and clicking properties. Under properties you need to click on the resources tab to see if there is any conflicts. If there is no resources tab then skip that device( notice that the computer icon does not have any). Any yellow flags in device manager is suspect and needs to be looked at first.

From the mini-dump files it seems to be a kmixer. sys file error. Somehow usbstor has come up along with a cdaudio,and dmusic. This seems to be a sound problem you are having. I would see if you can update your sound drivers to try fixing the problem. Are you trying to play music files from a usb storage device? Anyway, thats where i would start looking for your problem.

SRX660

akitosforever

akitosforever

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Run a repair Reinstall on the Computer which wil fix the problem to the core.

akitosforever

akitosforever

• Pip
  • 4 posts
On how to run a repair reinstall ...www.windowsreinstall.com....u will need the OS cd ..ie the operating system disc.

akitosforever

akitosforever

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey here is the exact location...u can find all the reqd screen shots.

http://www.windowsxp...dexfullpage.htm

canucks

canucks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi SRX660,

Thanks for the follow up.

I checked every single device on my "Device Manager" and I dont see any conflicts.

Which Sound Drivers do I update? Here's what my "Device Manager" look like, which one do I choose?
http://www.uploadmin.../49f5d66d15.jpg

Yes I played my music using my IPOD Mini, it's connected into my computer right now.

FYI. No BSoD yesterday. Nothing today so far... so it doesnt seems to appear everyday..

canucks

canucks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Run a repair Reinstall on the Computer which wil fix the problem to the core.

Ok what does this thing actually do? Is this the only solutiom for this?

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hey there canucks,

The repair/reinstall will analyse and reinstall necessary system files. For a fuller explanation of what this entails you can follow the links already provided, use the search function on microsoft.com or for a more rounded and simplified version - (preferred by most) - search through google - use a search thread most applicable to you. eg what does a repair install do in XP

If you don't feel comfortable with any advice given on this or any forum there is never shame in asking for further advice or in doing research yourself. We all live to learn and will happily aid others not just in assistance but also in learning how to self assist.

If you have followed the advice above and have any further questions about this - ask again. I guarantee that everyone in the forums are supportive and have been in a similar situation as some prior point - we're all here to help each other - that's what makes this community so amazing!

Stay happy,

Steve
:whistling:

akitosforever

akitosforever

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Repair reinstall will re-assign resources for the Device Drivers and then the current Conflict which is being caused would also takne care off.
Repair reisntall is generally a gud thing to do as its replaces all the missing dlls and system files.