Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Intel V Amd

• Please log in to reply

Y2eel

Y2eel

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I want to build it a Gaming mainly PC but do a little multi media stuff eg, make home movies.(but not the one like paris)
So what is everyones personal opninon intel duo core or AMD am2??
and what mobo should i go for?? (The main boards i see over here in australia are Asus and gigabyte)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
All the magazines say the Intel Conroe is 30% faster than everything else out there and runs cooler to boot. I'm going to wait until prices drop down somewhat before i build a Conroe system.

SRX660

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I want to build it a Gaming mainly PC but do a little multi media stuff eg, make home movies.(but not the one like paris)
and what mobo should i go for?? (The main boards i see over here in australia are Asus and gigabyte)

I wouldnt get either the intel duo core or the amd am2 right now. I would get the Intel duo 2 core which is the Intel CONROE. I personally would get the E6600 which is the best performance for the buck but some people get the one below that.

Y2eel

Y2eel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

I wouldnt get either the intel duo core or the amd am2 right now. I would get the Intel duo 2 core which is the Intel CONROE. I personally would get the E6600 which is the best performance for the buck but some people get the one below that.

sorry i forgot the 2 before intel duo lol but yeah i either want to go e6600 or an amd am2 chip....

is the amd am2 the product they are going with now or are they going to bring out a new model in 2-3 months?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

sorry i forgot the 2 before intel duo lol but yeah i either want to go e6600 or an amd am2 chip....

is the amd am2 the product they are going with now or are they going to bring out a new model in 2-3 months?

am2 is the newest amd chip socket right now..

I would personally get the Intel Conroe chip you cannot go wrong with that chip.. The e6600 is perfect and it still has the 4mb cache like the e6700...

Y2eel

Y2eel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
ok well i think i'll go for that... how is this for a mobo??
MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

ok well i think i'll go for that... how is this for a mobo??
MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp

ya thats a pretty good board, did you look on http://www.newegg.com yet??

There is quite a few to choose from and look at the reviews on the boards. Some are good and others are having probs..

Y2eel

Y2eel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Cheers having a look now.. (cant buy from there as iam in australia, the prices look so good compared to the stuff over here)

Another question on vid cards i have atm a agp card 6600gt and just have a crt monitor if i get a pci express card can i still use my monitor or do/should i get an lcd???

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Cheers having a look now.. (cant buy from there as iam in australia, the prices look so good compared to the stuff over here)

Another question on vid cards i have atm a agp card 6600gt and just have a crt monitor if i get a pci express card can i still use my monitor or do/should i get an lcd???

Of course you can still use your old crt monitor.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You might want a new LCD but you can use any monitor, remember you will need a new gfx card the AGP one wont work on the new board.

Advertisements

Y2eel

Y2eel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

You might want a new LCD but you can use any monitor, remember you will need a new gfx card the AGP one wont work on the new board.

Yeap i'll def be getting a new card..... which is the better of the bunch? geforce 7900gt or and ati x1900gt??

1 other question : i have a intel p4 3.0 is this mobo compatible with it? MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp, i plan to get the duo core 2 e6600 but its probably the last thing i want to get so if i can use my old cpu that will be great....

thanks for the help....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If its an lga775 p4 then it probably should download the manual and you can check onthe compatibilty list.

ATI font make an x1900GT its the XT there are 4 versions of x1900, two XTs one with 256mb of memory they just released and one with 512 which is the original the XTX is the old big daddy card and the new one is the 1950 which is the fastest card you can get right now runs AT $450.

I would go with the x1900 because the image quality and features are alot better.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Actually, ATI does make an X1900GT and it is a very good value for the price. It generally outperforms the 7600GT in most games, but of course it is a little more expensive.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102022

Here is a good overview of midrange cards:
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2812

Edited by kidnova, 29 August 2006 - 08:35 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They are what the reviewers and ATI release called the new XT with the 256mb of ram, it is of course going to be faster than the 7600GT its got a better core and speeds. Kinda makes sense to call it that.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would get a good mid range card for now like the 7600gt you can get great deals on the 7600gt's right now they have alot going on sale and some are on sale with mail in rebates as well.. The reason for buying a mid end card right now is good because you dont want to go all out right now and get a $450+ card when Direct X10 video cards are on the move soon. This means with the money you just saved, you can get a new direct x10 video card right when they come out and have that better technology. Dx10 is many times faster than directx9 is. The top end dx10 video cards will just annihilate any of the current dx9 top end cards..

Even the mid end dx10 cards will be faster than alot of the current top end dx9 video cards..

You can get a bfg 7600gt which is overclocked some already for $144.50 or many others like the evga 7600gt ko for $159.00 and with a $20 mail in rebate so that total will equal $139.00 after you get your rebate back..

The X1900GT is a good card aswell but its $195.99. Up to you on which one to get..