Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a laptop for COLLEGE

• Please log in to reply

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I was in the market for a laptop and since laptop prices are WOOOt and ive been looking around for a long long time and heres what i found :

http://www.toshibadi...j...043&seg=HHO

its a toshiba 2000 dollar laptop.
If anyone can tell me a better laptop thats cheaper pleeez go right ahead cuz i really need to get one

My primary use is gaming ofc but budget is $2000 and i cant get both, laptop and desktop (laptop for normal use and good gaming desktop) cuz there is no room in the apartment.

i know i know that everyone says that laptops are overated for college but i am near 99.9% sure i will really need one and i also need to game hence im buying this laptop unless someone can help me find a better deal.

MY MAX PRCIE RANGE IS $2200

Edited by tWiStEdArRow, 08 September 2006 - 07:37 AM.

Advertisements

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have an Acer laptop and I love it. :whistling:

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
well what about the laptop anyone find any good ones?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
With that type of budget, I would just go to one of the gaming computer builders and configure my own system. Here's one that I put together on Vicious PC for just under $2500.

http://www.viciouspc...fig_shogun.html

It has a 17" display a 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo T2500, a Nvidia GO 7900GTX and 2GB of RAM. (the screen goes back to default settings if you click the link, but you can add these options and stay under $2500)

Vicious PC is just one option though, Velocity Micro, Alienware, and of course Dell and HP offer many customizable notebook options. Just shop around and put together the best one you can that fits within your budget.

Edited by kidnova, 02 September 2006 - 09:09 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Make shure you get a 7200 rpm harddrive you will thank me later.. The 7200 rpm harddrive speeds up the whole system. Dont get a 5400 rpm harddrive if your going to be spending that much for a high end laptop, its only like $30 more for a 7200 rpm harddrive but you loose about 20gb in harddrive space.

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok man kidnova the pc u told is under 2500 nice but my bad i cant spend over 2000 :whistling:

heres the specs of one i found

CPU and Memory Processor Brand Intel
Processor Class Core Duo
Processor Speed 2 GHz
Mobile Technology Intel Centrino Duo
Installed Memory 2 GB
Maximum Memory 4 GB
Memory Technology DDR II SDRAM
Cache Size 2 MB
Installed Video Memory 256 MB

Storage Hard Drive Capacity 200 GB
Included Drives DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
CD Write Speed 24 X
CD Rewrite Speed 10 X
CD Read Speed 24 X
DVD Read Speed 8 X
DVD Write Speed 8x (DVD±R), 2x (DVD-R DL), 2.4x (DVD+R DL)

Display and Graphics Display Type TFT active matrix
Graphics Processor NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS
Resolution 1440 x 900 pixels

Battery Battery Life 2 hour(s)
Battery Type Lithium ion

Communications and Networking Bluetooth Yes
Modem Speed 56 Kbps
Network Support Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 2.0 EDR, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g

Software Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Connectors Interface Provided S-Video, VGA, Phone line, Ethernet, DVI-Digital, SPDIF output/headphones

Warranty Warranty Information 1 year warranty
Base Warranty 1 year warranty

General Product Info Input Devices Keyboard, Touchpad
Included Sound Card Sound card
Chassis Color Sunlight copper
Weight 7.05 lbs
Also known as Toshiba PSPA6U-021019, Toshiba P105-S9312, Toshiba Satellite PSPA6U-021019, Toshiba Satellite P105-S9312, Toshiba Satellite
Manufacturer Part No. PSPA6U-021019
Dimension 1.7 in x 15.5 in x 10.8 in (HxWxD)

I just have a few questions

1: the hardrive is 4200 rpm can i/should i upgrade it. If so how much cost? (doznt have to be 200gb minimum 80gb)

2 : vga card is nvidia 7900 GS not gtx whats the difference. Is it a big one?

3: This laptop can be upgraded to 4 gb ram most others cant so does this allow it to last longer?

4: Can this be used for gamin as is or do i need to change some of the stuff as mentioned above?

5: CONSIDERING i cant spend more than 2000 and this cost 2000 is it worth it?

6: heard something about a Intel Core 2 duo processor. What is it and should i wait or just buy this and get it over with?

Edited by tWiStEdArRow, 07 September 2006 - 07:16 PM.

smalls101

smalls101

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
That laptop sounds decent. I would still configure one myself from somewhere like cyberpower. a 4200 rmp harddrive is pretty bad. Upgrading it urself would probably set u back 70-100 bucks. Its much cheeper to get it with the laptop. The rest of it seems okay. The graphics card is pretty good and it sounds fast. The GTX would much considerably faster though. More memory and a faster core. I have no idea why upgrading the ram would make it last longer?????? Core 2's are also already out but they cost quite a bit more. Not necessarily worth it unless you want to run 64 bit windows/ vista. 2 hours battery life is also fairly low. I would keep looking

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
well i cant find anything around 2200 dollars or i would get it. 2200 is my LAST PRICE. Cant go higher.
Lets say that if there isnt anything better for the same price i can buy this now and upgrade the hardrive and
vga card later. The only thing i cant upgrade is the processor so is core 2 duo worht waiting for?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
That graphics card is plenty strong enough to play any game out on mid - high settings. The only thing that you will have to consider upgrading in the near future would be the harddrive. That laptop will be plenty strong enough to last you for a few years.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You can either get that Toshiba with 2gb of ram with the 7900gs for $2000 that has the older Processor in it or you can get one like an Alienware with the newer processor the Conroe which is alot faster processor than what comes in the toshiba but the video card in the Alienware would be an Ati X1800 which would be alittle slower but the harddrive in the alienware you can upgrade to a 7200rpm from the default 5400rpm on the alienware.

I would rather get the Alienware im talking about because of the Faster new Conroe core 2 duo processor, Even though the video card is alittle slower you probably wont even notice it because the alienware will have the 7200rpm harddrive and the new cpu it will probably end up being faster than the toshiba system in games because toshiba puts really slow harddrives in there machines..

Look at the Area-51® m5750 by Alienware and customize it to 2gb of ram with 80GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 7,200 RPM harddrive and that is a better deal..

I left everything else default on the alienware area 51 when I went to customize except for the memory to 2gb and the harddrive to the 80gb 7200rpm drive and the total came to $2,009.00. An additional battery would be $70 and a car adapter for $40

You can even upgrade the processor to the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5600 1.83GHz 2MB Cache 667MHz FSB for an additional $100 but you would be over the $2,200 by about $20.

Here is the link http://www.alienware...ode=SKU-DEFAULT

You could even downgrade the ram to 1gb if you wanted to save some cash but thats all up to you..

Laptops are totally different than custom desktop system building so your gonna end up paying more for a Laptop always especially a gaming laptop.
I dont really like any manufacturers at all but alienware would probably be the best to go with, they had the best price overall and customizability than anyone I looked at.

Advertisements

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok im turntin toward the alien ware laptop looks good but i just have 2 things on my mind

1: umm the alien ware can only be max upgraded to 2 gb ram but toshiba can go to 4gb
2: 1.66 ghz sound much less then 2.0 ghz so is it actually faster?
I know 1.66ghz is core 2 duo and 2.0ghz is core duo but how much would it affect my gaming considering normally play mp3s while gaming and maybe one other program to prevent cheating etc.
3: is the vga card upgradeable in the alienware cuz it is in the toshiba since its pci-express (correct me if im wrong)

Edited by tWiStEdArRow, 09 September 2006 - 06:57 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

ok im turntin toward the alien ware laptop looks good but i just have 2 things on my mind

1: umm the alien ware can only be max upgraded to 2 gb ram but toshiba can go to 4gb
2: 1.66 ghz sound much less then 2.0 ghz so is it actually faster?
I know 1.66ghz is core 2 duo and 2.0ghz is core duo but how much would it affect my gaming considering normally play mp3s while gaming and maybe one other program to prevent cheating etc.
3: is the vga card upgradeable in the alienware cuz it is in the toshiba since its pci-express (correct me if im wrong)

Because the Core 2 duo is new and is totally redesigned its quite abit faster than the core duo is. Id say even though the alienware is 1.66ghz Core 2 duo it will be atleast equal to the 2.0ghz core duo. The core 2 duo just has better architecture and a core 2 duo vs a core duo of the same speed the core 2 duo is about 15% to 20% faster.

You can always do the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5600 1.83GHz 2MB Cache 667MHz FSB upgrade for $100 more. I know for shure that the T5600 1.83ghz will beat the speed of the toshiba T2500 core duo at 2.00ghz.

Generally the video card in a laptop isnt upgradable by the user. You have to buy what you want on the laptop already but there is some people that have upgraded their laptops I have read on google from a 6600 to a 7900 but they modded some stuff.

Another thing that threw me off was that the toshiba generally looks nice but the Harddrive is a sleazy 4200rpm drive. They are really slow and because of that alone the Alienware with the 7200rpm harddrive is going to be a faster overall laptop LOL.

Edited by jrm20, 09 September 2006 - 07:57 PM.

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
and what about the ram question?
I mean if u say the toshiba hard suks i can just upgrade the hardrive and have a more powerful vga card too

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

and what about the ram question?
I mean if u say the toshiba hard suks i can just upgrade the hardrive and have a more powerful vga card too

You just get what you want twistedarrow, the toshiba would be fine as long as you got a new harddrive right away but then you would have to take apart the laptop, take out the old one and put in the new one then install the operating system back on it and make shure all the drivers are right and installed. That toshiba does look good but when I saw that 4200rpm harddrive that tells me that they probably use cheap parts and skimp somewhere else in the machine. 4200rpm harddrive is absolutely slow no matter how fast the cpu or video card is the harddrive is what you use when you play games and open programs etc.. Its going to bottle-neck that laptop with the slow harddrive.

A laptop isnt easy to work on and you should not open it up unless you have a pretty good knowledge of computer building background behind you.

Take a long read at this so you can understand it better..

a sluggish harddrive gives you poor performance on a laptop.. especially a gaming laptop should have a 7200rpm harddrive in it... 5400rpm very minimal..

http://www.pcworld.c...es/article.html

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
On the memory your not gonna need any more than 2gb on a laptop. If you want to get serious about gaming then get a tricked out desktop later on. 2gb of ram will play any game perfectly right now and its more than enough.