Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

install gone wrong IE7

• Please log in to reply

FNG68

FNG68

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I attempted to install Internet Explorer 7 RC1. After finding a certain unpleasant problem with no email access and a problem of being unable to print from the internet, I attempted to unintall IE7 and restore to a previous state. This resulted in the 'Blue screen of Death'. I rebooted but now System Restore feature is nothing but a blank screen . Also no unable to reinstall printer. I've been a mainframe programmer since the days of hand-wired sorter boards, but pretty much a novice on PC's. Help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi there,

Could you tell me if you have tried any form of IE7 RC1 support?

I'm told that they are currently staffing the RC1 section as a priority and as such can assist you comprehensively.

A quick scan online found the following link; (please let me know if it was any help)

http://www.microsoft...rt/default.mspx

Cheers

Steve :whistling:

FNG68

FNG68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
exparisstevie,
First of all, thanks for replying to my problem. I have recovered from the EI7 install except for the following problems, 1. System Restore files are gone and the feature is nothing but a blank screen.
2. having a devil of a time re-installing my all in one printer ( think this is between me and HP since I can't uninstall HP image zone express and it messes up the re-install) so I can't even print a copy of your reply to use later.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi Again,

The system restore issue is one that may or may not be a problem. I would recommend that you mention this to the IE7 RC1 team regardless as any emerging issues should be conveyed to the team to enable their engineering team to stop future issues from affecting new testers of the software. As far as your system is concerned are you happy (apart from the printer issue) that your system is stable? - if you are there is a simple way to solve the restore problem - (I won't even mention it unless you are happy to make today your NEW RESTORE POINT)

With reference to the printer issue - I need to ask a few questions;

Why does it need re-install (did it have issue after IE7 was installed?), was it fine pre IE7?

Before re-install - did you uninstall and if so - How?

Please check the following folder for me to see if it exists and please DO NOT DO ANYTHING EXCEPT CHECK IT FOR NOW; C:documents and settings/xxxxxxxx/application data/HP (or perhaps hewlett packard)

If you still cannot install the software - please uninstall it using add/remove programs before you post back and recheck the above path again and report what you find.

Have fun and wish you luck - i'll speak to you soon

Steve
:whistling:

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Sorry - missed a bit (my bad) in the path that i mentioned (C:docs and settings etc) where i put xxxxxx - this should be substituted with your user name

Sorry for any confusion - i'm on 3 forums at the same time (mainly malware stuff) and sometimes could concentrate more on end user stuff.

Hope you have success with your efforts and look forward to your reply

Steve :whistling:

FNG68

FNG68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Steve,
Thanks again for the assistance. I managed to get the printer all-in-one going then got called in to work. I'll start on the blank System restore feature next. Thanks again.

Edited by FNG68, 28 August 2006 - 03:50 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
bump

Edited by rushin1nd, 28 August 2006 - 06:51 AM.

FNG68

FNG68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Back again,
Printer all-in-one installed and will print but not from internet web site or email. I attempted to duplicate your response to another needy person who was receiving a blank System Restore screen. When I clicked on Start..Help and Support I got nothing. I guess there's a lot more wrong here than I suspected. This all started with EI7 RC1 and a problem uninstalling McAfee security suite. Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi Again,

Hmm, seems you may have some services out of whack.

Can you do a little research on your pc for me - *please do not change anything just yet - only gather info please**

Hold down your windows key and press r

This opens a run dialogue box - in here type "services.msc" - without the quotation marks and then hit enter.

Once this opens up and populates - scroll down to find help and support - is the service started? - is it listed as automatic or manual?

Please also scroll to 'system restore service' - same drill here as above

At this point we just fishing for clues - hopefully you'll come back and tell me that both services are showing as stopped....

Happy hunting

Steve

FNG68

FNG68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Back for more,
"help & support" started manual
"system restore" started automatic
(sorry it takes me so long, am on the phone to work a lot this morning)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
A lesson to all PC novices -- stay away from software that's not an official final release unless you have a second PC to fall back on when things get messed up. Even many experienced users prefer to stick with that advice. Leave the beta and rc testing to those who can afford to have a messed up sytem.

Edited by pip22, 28 August 2006 - 12:45 PM.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi Again,

OK this is not a simple one. can you try to access windows help and support from the start menu once more for me and note what the system tells you when it doesn't open it.

You can try turning off (just help and support) by double clicking it (using the services.msc utility that you used earlier) and choosing stop. After which I want you to change it to automatic and then restart the service.

Close down services.msc and immediately reopen to see if that change has stuck for you. If so, then try and open help and support.

We'll deal with system restore differently - so please don't change the settings for system restore in here.

Have fun and i'll speak to you soon...

Steve

PS - The advice given by pip22 would probably be agreed with by most on here - you're usually better off asking for advice on quality freeware than messing around with betaware or any other testing software - remember it isn't a finished program and is EXPECTED to have problems (if you read the t+c's for betaware you'll see that no responsibility for loss or damge to your system is taken on by the software manufacturer)

FNG68

FNG68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
help and support is "started" and "automatic"

when I attempted to select it from the start menu previously is did nothing and there were no messages.
Is restart necessary at this time?

Edited by FNG68, 28 August 2006 - 01:43 PM.

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
it wont hurt to restart. Might help your services get back inline anyway. Did you confirm that on reentering services.msc that your changes had taken effect?

I've researched a fix for your system restore issue and will await your reboot and confirm of help and supports status before we go there.....

Speak soon

Steve

FNG68

FNG68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
following reboot services says "started automatic" and system restore is "started automatic"
however nothing has changed. selecting either of them from the start menu gives a blip of the hourglass and then nothing.