Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yet Another Wired Home Network Problem

• Please log in to reply

PcAdDiCt44

PcAdDiCt44

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Jamie,

This computer (as well as the others on the net) run XP/Home. I don't see the 'Local Security Settings' option under Admin Tools in CPnl. I do see a note that I can add a "Security Policy Management Snap-in" for IPsec. Would that be the direction to head...or am I not seeing something? :whistling:

Thanks,

-greg-

Advertisements

JamieG

JamieG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Greg,

I don't have a Home system here to test this on, but I can point you in the right direction ... I think it might answer your questions ... also, just as a side note, you did make sure that Netbios is enabled over tcp/ip, right? Screws up more people!

Okay ... Go here .... http://www.experts-e...Q_21014637.html

Let me know :whistling:

knights89

knights89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I did not know anyone responded, thank you. First PcAdDiCt44, I can ping eack machine, but can not map to the two (see my first post). Dsenette, all machines are in the trusted zone and I re-ran network setup with no luck. JamieG, sorry no tada, "everyone" is listed in each pc's group. Also I am running XP Pro, not Home (see my first post). I do not have Enable Netbios over TCP/IP set on any of the PC's.

JamieG

JamieG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
List everyone by name :whistling:

knights89

knights89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
JamieG, I do not understand

JamieG

JamieG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Good morning :whistling:

What I meant to say was to list each computer by its name ... Kitchen, Den, Bob, Sue ... whatever they're names are.

Secondly, I'm sure I asked, but you have enabled Netbios over TCP/IP right?

ALSO ... Do you have NORTON ??

J

knights89

knights89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi JamieG, I do not have Enable Netbios over TCP/IP set on any of the PC's, and I have never installed any Norton products (too many issues over the years).

JamieG

JamieG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I added this information ... but I don't see it listed so if this post comes up twice, well ...

Go back into User rights and then access this computer and then add the name NETWORK. Reboot.

Fixed?

PcAdDiCt44

PcAdDiCt44

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I was struggling with my network and found that setting NetBios over TCP/IP is a good move. I don't think that Computer Associates Firewall is the same as ZoneAlarm. It may sound a bit 'strange' but I've found the best firewall (thus far - I've tried about a dozen incl. BlackIce, ZoneAlarm/Pro, etc) and "Ashampoo Firewall" (yes, that's right) works like a dream...you might scope it out. It 'learns' your net config for you! (www.ashampoo.com). It's a German site & has LOTS of cool stuff.

JamieG

JamieG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey Greg,

I found some additional information on the Home system ... You can alter the security settings by ....

http://vowe.net/archives/001639.html

Advertisements

PcAdDiCt44

PcAdDiCt44

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry to add another msg but it came to me that at times the WINDOWS FIREWALL gets turned on (by accident or...) so check to see that it isn't running also. I'm using XP/Pro here w/a wireless config in my basement and just got this box up and humming nicely. Finally, make sure that FILE SHARING is ON on all the boxes.

JamieG

JamieG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks, I'll check out that firewall :whistling: Sounds crazy and cool all at once.

So, does this mean that you've networked both the Home and Pro now? If so, CONGRATULATIONS!! ... If not, I'll keep checking around with my people.

PcAdDiCt44

PcAdDiCt44

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Jamie, yes I've got um...two mini-towers running 'XP/Home', one Laptop on 'XP/MediaCenter' (has Cat5 and 802.11B/G), my backup server on 'XP/Pro' (Cat5) and this box I'm setting up for my media center - it's in a cool all-black 'rack mount' case and it's on 'XP/Pro' (802.11B). If that weren't enuff, my PDA (Audiovox 6700) runs Mobile/5 and is on the net as well. So three 'hard-wired' boxes and three wireless (if you count the PDA). NETBIOS over TCP/IP on all the PC's. All on same 'workgroup', file/print sharing set on all but the PDA natch.

JamieG

JamieG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
NIiiiicccccCE!

That's quite a feat you've accomplished there. We're getting close to you ... we run 3 xp pro's plus the Media Edition Lappy and then the wireless Nintendo as well as the iPod and .... Outdoor jukebox for the hot tub!! Oh yeah! :whistling:

PcAdDiCt44

PcAdDiCt44

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Aren't all these hi-tech toys wonderful? ;-)