Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 Error Message - Can't access PC

• Please log in to reply

daviesmith2006

daviesmith2006

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there,

I'm trying to fix my old pc so I can use it again. Its been out of commission for a while and I'd really like to get it fixed using this forum if that's possible. This is my first post so hope you guys/gals can help.

I got a Hijackthis log and was going to post on the forum to try and get rid of a malware infection the scan found. But this error (see below) keeps coming up so I thought I would get this fixed before the infection is dealt with.

This error also prevents me from getting to any application or programme on my pc. So I can't do anything until this is fixed and I can't get passed this message any way I try. Hope you can help me get passed this so I can at least access the operating system.

Error message:

EXPLORER caused an exception 03H in module
<unknown> at 0000:8calladd.
Registers:
EAX=8callae4 CS=0187 EIP=8calladd EFLGS=00000282
EBX=00000000 SS=018f ESP=0059dacc EBP=0059dafc
ECX=c009df0b DS=018f ESI=bff772be FS=0dc7
EDX=8lbl300c ES=018f EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
ba 50 6d 09 c0 ff el 0b c0 74 6f 8b 4c 24 04 8b
Stack dump:
8callae4 0059db3c 00000000 00000008 7fcb2e9e
0059db3c 00000000 00000008 80040154 bff772be
00000000 7fcb2d68 0059db14 7fcb2db2 0059db3c
7fcb2e30

Hope you can help,

Daviesmith

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Daviesmith
Can't find that fault being caused by explorer!
Lets try a basic
start your computer and hold the ctrl key in until you get the startup option screen
Choose start in dos mode > at the prompt type (what I put in blue)
c:>scanreg /restoreEnter (note the space between scanreg
and / ) this should give a list of 5 times the computer started pick one of the older dates.

daviesmith2006

daviesmith2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Peterm and thankyou for your help!

Unfortunately this doesn't work...if I hold down either or both of the ctrl keys all I get is "Keyboard Error" on what looks like a dell system screen and the pc boots as normal to the error message I typed out in the first post.

It seems this pc is never simple to fix :whistling:

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Daviesmith

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Oh a dell machine
instead of ctrl key start the computer and start tapping the F8 key straight away can you get the menu via this method?

daviesmith2006

daviesmith2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey again,

I tried the solution you suggested and the message on the dos screen (once I had put the scanreg /restore) in and selected the furthest back date...but that wouldn't load it said "restoration failed".

So I tried again and used the next oldest date. The message on the dos restoration screen said that it had worked and there were no errors on this version.

But...after the required restart took place nothing much different showed on the screen. The daylight savings message came up for some reason but so did the error but now I dont even have windows threatening to load...its just a black screen and the same error message :whistling: any more suggestions?

Thanks again,

Daviesmith

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Daviesmith
Sorry about the delay
Are you ok with opening the computer case?
If you can I would like you to take out the ram and reseat it. You must do this with the power off. Make sure you touch some metal part 1st so you discharge any static. If you do not know how to do this let me know and I will give you step by step instructions.
Cheers
Peterm

daviesmith2006

daviesmith2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey peterm no problems on the delay I've still got about a week to fix this old bucket.

I'm pretty sure I can get the case open...but I'm a bit nervous about getting into the 'heart of the machine' if that expression is right.

Sorry but I have absolutely no idea how to reset the ram and I would need to know exactly what to do... sorry I know its more work for you.

Its just that I need to know how not to wreck the thing by touching the wrong board...

Thanks again for your help,

Daviesmith

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Daviesmith
Can you get in to safe mode?
In my sig there is a link to tuneup trial please download that and run the registry cleaner (on the second tab) then run the registry defrag on the optimize & improve tab. If you can't get it to run then boot to safe mode.
Start the computer and start tapping F8 when you get the startup selection screen choose safe mode then try tuneup trail
Cheers
Peterm

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If the Tune up trial won't work then open the case (power off)
Touch some metal to earth yourself.
Depends on your mother board but the ram should be in one of these.
How many sticks or ram are there ?
Remove them all and then reseat them.
If there is more then 1 stick of ram then replace 1 at a time and reboot. If it works with 1 stick then stops when you add another one then that one is bad.
When you do this turn the computer off each time and touch some metal to discharge the static.
No need to keep putting the case back on.

Cheers
peterm

Attached Thumbnails

• Ram_Slots.jpg

daviesmith2006

daviesmith2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi again peterm

Thanks again for your help. I can actually get into safe mode but my LAN doesnt seem to respond when i connect the cable to the usb port. Any suggestions? I'd rather try to do it the first way you suggested than the second.

If the connection works then I'll be able to try the first one.

Thanks again,

Daviesmith

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I Davie
Does the computer you are on now have a cd burner?
Can you burn tune up to a cd ?
Cheers
Peterm

daviesmith2006

daviesmith2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey peterm

sorry I should have tried that before myself. I should know how to get a file from one place to another by now. But yet again the plan hasn't worked because safe mode doesnt seem to recognise a disc drive (even though its connected. The floppy drive seems to be ok which is kind of confusing considering the disc drive doesn't work.

Anyway it seems like I'm gonna be forced to open up the case and try that way. Any more suggestions of either how to operate the disc drive or to connect the LAN internet before I attempt the box itself?

Thanks once again! Your help is invaluable and truly appreciated!

Daviesmith

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If both computers have a floppy drive
You can get a startup disc for 98se - www.bootdisk.com
you download the file to your desktop put a floppy into the A: drive then click on the downloaded file. It will self extract to the floppy drive.
Put the floppy in to the other machine and turn it on. you will the have an option to start the computer with cd support. Then put the cd into the drive and copy the program to the hard disk (or try installing from the cd)
This should work.
I am still leaning towards a faulty RAM chip but not 100% sure
Cheers
Peterm

daviesmith2006

daviesmith2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey again peterm

Tried what you suggested but when I put in the floppy disk THEN turn on the computer I get the error message "Remove Disks or other media. Press any key to restart"

Not sure why this is happening with a self extracting file...any suggestions on this one??

Thanks again,

Daviesmith

Edited by daviesmith2006, 05 September 2006 - 11:57 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Daviesmith
Ok you did extract to the floppy and not copy ?
ok do you have a restore cd or floppy disk with this computer (not windows)
or do you have a windows 98 cd?
Lets have a look on your hard drive. Restart in safe mode then go
start>find>files or folders In the name box put *.cab click find now.
do you get a list of cab folders? also do a search for option do you get a folder called option? last do a search for restore what do you get?
But I think it is hardware related or a combo. Do you know if the computer has a graphics card
instead of a graphics onboard?
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 07 September 2006 - 03:37 AM.