Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 Error Message - Can't access PC

• Please log in to reply

daviesmith2006

daviesmith2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi peterm

*EDITTED - SEE BELOW FOR RESULTS OF 98bootSE FLOPPY*

I'm sure I could find a restore floppy or cd and I'm pretty sure I have a win98 cd aswell.

I'll answer your next questions in a list format, not trying to be unemotional its just easier for you to read.

1. Found plenty of cab folders - 139 of them

2. Found the windows folder Options and an application data folder for Options but no "Option" all of the folders have an 's' in them.

3. Found litte of evidence for "Restore" all there were were a few media files I'd never seen before in the windows folder.

The Computer does have a graphics card - a Creative GeForce 2 MX, whatever that is which was installed later although it never gave me any problems and wasn't really used.

Thanks again for your help!! Not sure if we'll manage this - only 2 days until i move out and leave this computer here for my relatives :whistling: hope we can manage something but even if we cant its been great getting help from you!

Thanks once again,

Daviesmith

Edited by daviesmith2006, 07 September 2006 - 01:28 PM.

Advertisements

daviesmith2006

daviesmith2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Wait sorry scrap that bit about not being able to extract the file to the floppy. Ive done that now and have tried to start the computer. However now I get the message that I "The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D:" then "To get help, type HELP and press enter" and then it says "A:\>" on a command prompt screen.

Would I be better off just reseating the ram?

Thanks again,

Daviesmith

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
1) Try reseating the ram and if there is more then 1 stick pull them out and replace them 1 at a time. You do not have to put the cover back on each time
but turn the power off each time and touch some metal to discharge static.This is trying to eliminate ram sticks 1 at a time.
2) Make sure the graphics card is pushed in firmly.
3) If you have the restore cd and the ram and graphic card does not make a difference then you can try the restore cd. Some restore cd's give the option to restore without reformatting thus leaving your other programmes & data in tact.
4) with a windows 98 cd Install 98
5) You say the graphics card is not used? Is the monitor plugged in to this or to an on board graphics?if not then remove it from the computer via Right click my computer >properties>device manager>display adapters> click on the + sign
then click on the graphic card then click on remove. Start down the computer then remove the card.
I am sorry we have not hit on the answer yet but tese things we can get in 1 or 2 post some can take over a month of daily work.
Cheers
Peterm
PS I will try to keep more upto date

Edited by peterm, 08 September 2006 - 02:54 AM.

daviesmith2006

daviesmith2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi peterm

Because of time constraints I'll have to put the PC into a repair shop, sorry, thankyou very much for your help so far - you all offer an invaluable service at geeks to go. The internet needs more people like you!!

All the best for the future!!!!!!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Come on give it 1 shot.
When they fix it would it be possible for the people to ask what it was and let you know so they can post the answer?
Sorry I could not get you going
Regards
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 08 September 2006 - 10:59 PM.

daviesmith2006

daviesmith2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Really sorry Peter - youve been so patient and helpful with me.

Unfortunately I'm off to university now (sorry also that I didn't mention that before) and am moving away from home.

The repair guy said he wiped the harddrive, but as requested he took all of my documents and files off the computer before doing this.

Now windows is re-installed and the PC is working again, as a standard word processor, nothing more, only word will be used.

Thankyou so much for trying so hard - I truly do appreciate all of the work you put into this.

All the best! and many thanks,

Daviesmith