Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC Cannot boot up unless I go into safe mode. HELP

• Please log in to reply

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The error message was of Windows recovering from a serious problem.. the problem was the Video controls... but now I don't know what happened because this is how it went..

I installed everything, let my Kaspersky access all those files, and it was installing, when all of a sudden halfway through installing the Catalyst control center, boom... some kind of file was unexpectedly terminated, and the computer had to immediately shut down.

At the top where the file was downloading, it kept giving me the message that it couldn't work becase my computer may be in safe mode, or the windows installer may not have been installed properly, but then when I clicked ok, it kept installing and was working. Unfortuneately, my computer beat the installation in timing, and it could not finish... I don't know wether I have the ATI catalyst control center anymore, and I don't know what I should do now... I'm so happy everything's working again though.. I can't even explain..

So what do I do now, and is it okay if I change my screen resolution back to normal, because all of a sudden when it rebooted, my letters and everything were tiny... But it did all that this time around...

EDIT: I checked my system processes, and it's there! The problem is, I can't access it from the quicklaunch icons in the bottom right corner, so what now?

Edited by Dario04, 27 August 2006 - 11:49 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Change the screen resolution and reboot to check it stays set

Is there an ATI icon on the desktop

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No, none that have been recently installed... There is one that I left in another folder to keep everything on my computer organized and not splattered all over the place. I clicked properties so that I would check how it's going and it didn't exist. There is not one where it normally starts up, everything's working fine, but I just can't open the catalyst control center (not that I use it much anyways)....

And I don't know if I want to change the screen resolution now lol, I'm starting to like it... I will do it just to test it around, and I will tell you the results.

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Also, before I even do this... I tried opening ATI and this is the message I got once it searched for the file....

Tell me how I should respond to this ... since I'm not sure what will happen.

"The item 'CLI.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.

Nearest match based on size, data, and type:
C:\Program Files\ Viewpoint\ Viewpoint Med...\MtsAxInstaller.exe

Do you want to fix this shortcut to point to this target or do you just want to delete it?"

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Also, before I even do this... I tried opening ATI and this is the message I got once it searched for the file....

Tell me how I should respond to this ... since I'm not sure what will happen.

"The item 'CLI.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.

Nearest match based on size, data, and type:
C:\Program Files\ Viewpoint\ Viewpoint Med...\MtsAxInstaller.exe

Do you want to fix this shortcut to point to this target or do you just want to delete it?"

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the resolution changed on its own then the video card is running

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
If you could please, reply to the post that you did not have a chance to read, thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
From the ATI site, download the Radeon drivers for XP 6.8 with the catalyst control centre

Save them as before

Install it, if it moans about a previous version, run the cat uninstaller, reboot and then install the file from the ATI site

Start here

https://support.ati....amp;folderID=27

Click windows xp drivers and software

Click Radeon

Click Catalyst 6.8

Download and save this one

[attachment=10439:attachment]

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, I will report the results as soon as I'm finished... hopefully it won't take as long, and I won't get a pile of errors again.

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, basicaly, I got whack results man.

It went through the install shield wizard, yadah yadah... and right away it was installing fast, and went to the halfway point in a matter of seconds, when all of a sudden, in the blink of an eye... BANG.

I could hardly see the message that said " System Shutdown " ... and my computer went off...

While off, at first, I thought it was screwing up all over again.. It made the same whirring noise, and it said out of range, then Signal Detected ,then out of range again... I got scared for a second, but then it loaded up and everything was fine....

I didn't get anything out of it, and it did not whine of previous versions (or if it did, then I did not have a chance to even see it!)

What was I supposed to get out of this, because I got absolutely nothing.. I know the file contrained something of a Display manager from what the file on ATI.com said....

What do I do now, or what did I just do should I say?

( I also got that same error message this time, but only once, saying this
" Windows recovered from a serious error"
Send Error Report--- Don't send Error Report

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you reboot it to see if it loads properly

Has the CLI.exe error gone

Can you adjust the resolution how you want

Has the monitor got a reset button

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok.... this is what I will do.. and I will report for (hopefully so I don't bother you anymore) a final time....

The CLI.exe thing wasn't an error... that was the thing when I clicked to open my catalyst control center, since I apparently don't have one anymore....

I will try to adjust the resolution and reboot...

but first, I will reboot alone to see how it works, and then next time around I will adjust the resolution

And what do you mean does the monitor have a reset button? My monitor's a FP931 monitor and it can turn on, off, re-adjust the screen, change brightness and change contrast.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it boots and shows you the boot screen then goes out of range, shows you the XP screen then goes out of range and loads the desktop, it could be the monitor has a reset button

See how the reboot goes though

Dario04

Dario04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Oh... well this is how it went.

I rebooted the first time, it went fine... and instead of the way you described it ... it would go to the windows logo screen right away, then back out of range, then no signal detected, and would boot to the username area... I adjusted it to 1154x860 or something like that... I like the resolution and will keep it there. ( I rebooted after adjusting )

The only thing now is, I don't have an ATI control center LOL... but I don't think it matters because I rarely used it.. it's just that it may be an important part of the graphics area of my computer...

Anything else I should do or.....???

Edited by Dario04, 28 August 2006 - 01:07 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it runs then settle for this

ATI will release an update and when you install it the problem should go

As for it being important, ATI is an all or nothing programme so as it is running it must have all the files it needs

Not an ideal solution but at least you have a running PC now