Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win Setup Error

• Please log in to reply

cypress

cypress

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I turned on my computer a few days ago only to get a blank screen. When I put in the Windows xp cd to try to fix it, I got an error message that completely stopped the setup:

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\windows\system32\initpki.dll
DllRegisterServer returned error 2147942667 (8007010b)
Setup is invalid the error Code is 3.

Any help? I can not get past this point. The setup dies, making my computer stuck here. I've tried to do the setup over, but I still incounter this problem. Is there anyway to fix this?

:blink: :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
initpki.dll is used by the Windows crypto system and it deals with signatures and encryption.

Might be worth a shot:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Or alternatively:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;315341

This error could also be potentially caused by using the wrong CD. That is, if you had Service Pack 2 installed but repair Windows XP using a Service Pack 1 disk (or a no Service Pack), it doesn't always like this.

The other alternative is to hang your drive off another machine, copy off anything important and then just use your XP CD to wipe the drive.

cypress

cypress

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thankyou for the quick reply ^_^ I really appreciate it
But it was the correct CD (I double checked..several times) and tried the walkthroughs. However it hasn't changed..but thankyou for the advice anyway ^_^