Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Toshiba M 105 Satelite Laptop

• Please log in to reply

lhp

lhp

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
My son (at college) has this new laptop and when we connected his ethernet cable to the college connection in his dorm (which is working....someone else was able to get on) he still could not get on line. Any suggestions???

Does this laptop have a built in Network card or is that something we have to add???

Thanks in advance for any help....we are clueless!

Edited by lhp, 28 August 2006 - 08:33 AM.

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Your laptop does have a built in network card. So you could get access to a wireless network.

About your wired problem: do you see any yellow ! or ? in device manager?

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I will have to check with my son. Unfortunately, he (and the computer) are away at college and (alas) I am at home. He called this morning complaining that he still could not get his brand new computer to work.

I just wanted to make certain that it did have the built in Network card. I thought perhaps there was some common trick that we were missing.

Hopefully, he will find someone in the computer department to give him a hand.

He wanted a Dell and I bought him a Toshiba (because that is what we could afford)....now I will never hear the end of it.

Thanks again for the input.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Toshiba makes very good laptops. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. I'd be willing to be that it is user error and nothing to do with the computer, so you'll get the last laugh.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Toshiba makes lots of good things. Cameras, laptops etc. I have a toshiba camera myself.

I thought Dell was alot cheaper than Toshiba. :whistling:

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Toshiba makes lots of good things. Cameras, laptops etc. I have a toshiba camera myself.

I thought Dell was alot cheaper than Toshiba. :whistling:

Unless you catch a close out sale that is what I've seen.... Oh and believe me you got him the better laptop....

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks for making the 'Mom' feel better. His Toshiba was $599.00 with the rebate. It has the Intel Centrino Mobile Tech with the Core Solo Processor 80GB. I added the Student Word software so that he has Powerpoint, Excel and Word.

I did not want to pay more than $600.00 because he has a bad habit of losing things! I will let you guys know if his computer folks in the honor club can get him set up.

Thanks again,
The World's Most Computer Challenged Person

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Let's hope those people can figure out his connection problem and fix it.

:whistling:

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Just an update....(you folks will love this one)....

After many tried to help him in the dorm (not any IT folks...just folks) he still could not get on line.

So since he was coming home this weekend, he brought that (ole terrible) Toshiba with him and he and Dad were going to call Toshiba's 800 number and get it all resolved.

Son gets home and Dad looks that the laptop....and finds there is an on/off switch (almost looks like a power switch) right on the front of the laptop that was off. Dad switches it to ON and guess what....we were able to get online.

Yep, those ole' On Off switches will get ya every time!!!

Thanks for always being here for us "computer challenged folk"!!

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
No worries, you're not the only one. I have had this happen (and I'm positive everyone else has too). It took me 3 days to figure out why the phone setting in my Flybook laptop didn't work. The fix: first off, I had to put a SIM card in the card slot. Second, I had to turn the card reader on. I was getting really frustrated but I could laugh about it once it was fixed and working.

:whistling: