Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP freezes at login screen

• Please log in to reply

z00ropa

z00ropa

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have been having a problem with my Windows XP. On occasion when I start up the computer Windows will freeze at the login screen where I can select which user account to logon with. It doesn't happen every time.

Anyone have a clue what might cause this? How to fix it?

Thanks.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Not quite sure why, but let's try a repair.

Go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally, then the monitor will show progress of the scan, rather than going to Windows. Do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Let me know if it freezes again. If/When it does, write down the exact date and time of the freeze. We will use this to try to find out what's going on.

z00ropa

z00ropa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I gave it a try, but it froze up again at 5:36pm 08-30-06, If I knew how to post a start up log I would.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

z00ropa

z00ropa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok, log attached below.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
I don't see anything unusual, but I will ask a malware expert check it out. In the meantime, do this:

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as when your computer froze...list them here.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 01 September 2006 - 10:37 AM.

z00ropa

z00ropa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok, the majority of the red x's that I see are for something called DCOM, several listed at times when my computer froze up.

Here is what it says under Event Properties:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I'm interested in a resolution of this problem...was one posted? :whistling:

z00ropa

z00ropa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
No reply yet, keep checking back, they have been very helpful so far.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Sorry z00ropa, I've got a busy weekend ahead of me, even on Labor day :blink:

If no one else jumps in, I'll be back to assist you on Tuesday. :whistling:

Hope you can hang on until then.

z00ropa

z00ropa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Of course, hope you can enjoy some of your weekend. Thank you for your help so far! :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
With due respect to "computerwiz12890" are you willing to wait until Tuesday...?

In the meantime, what CAN you access? Do you have access to the Windows XP startup floppy diskette making program? If not get a buddy to download the file and prepare the 6 required diskettes...it will get you to the spot that seems to be beyond reach at this point...if not, at least you are busy attacking the problem. I don't see an issue yet, that cannot be resolved that way.

I am a firm advocate of beating up Windows at every opportunity. I keep a steady stack of saved burned CDs at the ready. If the d... thing acts up, I blow up the hard drive and reinstall what is needed as time permits...you do not need to fear reformatting, and it is a lot less aggrevating then banging your head against a wall. Computers are as dumb as bricks and blind as bats, all they can do is compute! So, take charge and be large :whistling: Better than sitting around moping...

I know that everyone does not have a lap top sitting beside their main frame as I do. It is a life saver. If one is down the other can pick it up. You can also operate one computer from the other with the proper cables and set up...but hind sight in this instance isn't going to do us any good.

Edited by b1caez01, 02 September 2006 - 09:48 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
I'm back. :whistling:

you do not need to fear reformatting

That is a last resort, and for some people, the ones that are not that computer literate, that can be a nightmare as they lose everything except for what they backup. Unfortunately, there will always be something they forget, and sometimes something important, and it is lost forever. So we save that as last.

Some things for you to do to gather information for me:

Check Dirty Bit
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type fsutil dirty query c: (This queries the drive and will tell you if it is dirty or clean)

Let me know what it reports.

Install and run Tune Up
Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

Use SFC /scannow to see if something's corrupt
Go to Start, Run, type sfc.exe /purgecache and press enter. When it is done purging the cache, type sfc.exe /scannow and press enter. If it asks you for your XP CD, insert it and then continue. Please let me know if it asks you for your CD.

Please report back and let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 05 September 2006 - 10:36 AM.

z00ropa

z00ropa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, home improvement projects have taken over my life. Well, one of the repair utilities must have done the trick, I have not had any problems for the last week. Thank you for your help!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Cool! Glad I could help. :whistling: