Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer crashs every 5 minutes

• Please log in to reply

rustyagain

rustyagain

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Computer processor AMD Sempron 2800 – 512 MB Ram

Computer crashes and restarts every 5 minutes regardless of what or any programs are in use. Even crashes when on stand-by.
AVG anti-virus, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Ewido all come up clean with no problems.
MS hard disc check showed no problems.
Have the side off the computer and all fans and cooling seam OK.
When using “Windows Task Manager” – “Performance” The CPU Usage graph seams very high and quite often reaches and remains at a 100%.

Don’t know if problem is software or hardware related – Please help before base unit gets thrown out of the window (real window, not Bill’s window)

Rgds rusty

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Try safe mode (f8 during startup). Does it still restart every 5 minutes?

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yup - safe mode (F8 & all the other F*** numbers) still gets a crash

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

Because of the crashing, you may have to save the screenshots to a floppy or thumb drive in order to transfer it to a working computer. Same thing with Speed Fan, you may have to download it with a different computer and then transfer it to the broken one.

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
after cancelling auto-restart I now have the blue screen of death with -

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

check adequate disk space (plenty)
if driver is identified in the stop Message(what stop message) disable driver. Try changing video drivers

etc etc bios updates

beginning dump of physical memory
physical memory dump completed

Could this be a memory failure and would replacing the memory help ~?~

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
reply to "Computerwiz"

jpg's from speed fan attached

Attached Thumbnails

• ssf03.JPG

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Your hard drive is fine, but your computer's temperature is burning up!! If your computer has a temperature safety feature, that could very well be what is causing it to shut down.

Let the computer sit powered off for about 20 minutes. After that time, start the computer. Immediately start SpeedFan and watch the temperature. Make note of what it starts as.

After about 1 minute, write down the temps again.

After another minute, write it down again.

And so on and so forth until it crashes. Post the temperatures at those 1 minutes intervals for me to look at. If it is what I think it is (temperature problem), then we'll work on a way to resolve that issue. If the temperature not increase with the computer just sitting there, open a few programs and do a few things and then check the temperature again.

Let me know if you have to run programs in order to increase the temp.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 August 2006 - 02:37 PM.

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Times & Temps as requested - after 30 minutes shut down times start @ 00, then @ +2 minutes

00 02 04 06 08 start 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 System
#1 37 40 42 44 45 AVG. 47 48 50 51 52 54 56 Frooze
#2 34 38 40 41 42 & 44 46 48 48 47 48 48 had to
#3 58 58 58 59 59 Spy 63 66 68 67 67 68 70 re-boot
HD 32 33 34 35 36 Bott 37 39 39 40 41 42 42

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Those temperatures are very bad :whistling:

Make sure your computer is not in an enclosed area, that it is getting proper ventallation.

In addition, if you know how, open your computer up and spray all the dust out with canned air.

If you are not sure how to do that, I will contact a hardware expert. Or if you are successful, but the temperatures are still critical, then I will still contact a hardware expert to assist you in purchasing something to cool it off.

Let me know how it goes or if you need assistance with the cleanning.

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I already run the computer with one side off all the time and have also fixed an extra fan on the back
Also I have stripped down the CPU fan and heat sink and given them a good clean.
Short of throwing in a bucket of ice I am running out of ideas

On other bit of information is after each crash and the blue screen of death
it does a "dump of physical memory" and comes up with the following fault
"*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0xF68FD81D,0xF4291A20,0x00000000)

can you translate the above chinese

rgds

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes I can, and it isn't very good news. But I am glad you were able to catch that BSOD code for me, since I now know exactly what is wrong.

One or more of your RAM chips has gone bad. To confirm that, let's run a test.

Download Memtest86 and save the file to your desktop. You can choose the ISO version or the Floppy version

After the file is downloaded an extract must be done to uncompress the file(s). To extract, right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract All" option. The extract option will let you choose where the files will be extracted to. To build a bootable floppy go the the folder where the files were extracted and click on the Install icon and put a floppy disk in the floppy drive. The floppy disk will appear to be unformatted by Windows after the install is complete.

To build a boot-able CDROM use your CD burning software to create an image from the un-zipped ISO file.

Once you create the floppy or CD, reboot the computer with the floppy or CD in your computer. This should start Memtest. The testing should beging automatically. If not, start it.

The testing cycle will repeat over and over, as long as you let it. Let it run for at least 1 hour. The longer you let it run, the more accurate the results. Let me know if it finds any errors or not, which it most likely will.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 29 August 2006 - 10:49 AM.

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks again Wiz

I have wondered about the ram stick for some time as programs have come up with not enough memory
I also had a test program come up with "1 stick @ 500 MB + 1 stick @ 250MB"

However - I have run Memtest for 3 hours and completed over 7 pass's - all with no error

I have heard that Memtest isnt fool proof but where do we go from here ?????

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You are correct about Memtest...it is not fool proof. So we have to do it the manual way.

Take 1 stick of RAM out. Run the computer and see if the problem occurs.

If so, take that stick out and put the other one back in. Then run the computer again.

If it still freezes, you may need to buy or borrow a stick of RAM that is compatable with your computer, in order to see if both sticks are bad. And if it still freezes, then we've got a problem.

NOTE: Unplug your computer from its power source before operating on it. And make sure you discharge any static electricity by touching the metal part of your computer's case (or any other metal object for that matter) or you are wearing an anti-static wrist strap. If you have a static discharge on one of the components inside the computer (even a discharge that cannot be felt), you could damage your computer further.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 29 August 2006 - 11:42 AM.

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Big problem with plan one
Only one stick of ram
are you certain enough to recomend buying another

rgds

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Almost 100%. We can try another test if you want.

This version of Memtest has been reported to be more accurate. If this is not the one you've used, try it out:

Memtest 86+ floppy version
Memtest 86+ ISO version

I will look for other RAM diagnostic software. In the meantime, run that version of Memtest (unless that was the one you ran).

Also let me know if you see any other kind of BSOD other than the one with that error that you posted above. If you keep getting the same message, then it will mean we are on the right track. If you get another message, depending on what kind of message, it may be something else, or something in addition to RAM issues.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 29 August 2006 - 12:05 PM.