Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

RUNDLL alert message says that it can't find rysutils.dll, now exp

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been removing spyware from my computer for a couple of days now, and when I removed deskbar.dll (this wasn't in the system32 directory, it was in Program Files\Deskbar, so I figured that it wasn't critical), I got an alert with the header RUNDLL and the message "Cannot find c:\WINDOWS\system32\rysutils.dll". The computer thereafter ran super-duper slow. I searched for rysutils.dll for myself online to no avail. In fact, I can't seem to find out even its purpose.

Anyway, I restarted my computer, and now the explorer.exe takes all of my CPU, and it never completes--I let it sit there for 30 minutes and nothing ever happened (no taskbar, no desktop icons, nothing showed except my wallpaper). I rebooted in Safe Mode, and the explorer.exe still took all of my CPU and then explorer.exe died (was killed?) after about 5 minutes of its struggles. If I re-run the explorer.exe from the Task Manager, I still get the problem, no matter how many times I start and stop it.

I tried doing a Selective Startup through msconfig with no luck (explorer.exe still takes all of CPU and never finishes), but this is the first time that I used it, so many I did something wrong.

Thoughts? Could the slowness be caused by the missing rysutils.dll? Is there a way that I can see if there are any other dlls missing? How can I get my explorer.exe to finish normally again?

Edited by jzheaux, 28 August 2006 - 11:02 AM.

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!!

Let's make sure you're completely clean. It sounds like there's something left over.

Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 August 2006 - 10:58 AM.